Auto Start Stop Damage turbo's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been bothering me for a bit. Does the constant stop and start shorten the life of the turbo. Always been the rule with a diesel to let it idle for a bit before you shut down, to help the turbo cool. Does this auto start/stop cause premature wear as the turbo is shut down immediately with no cool down?
Any thoughts?

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No but low quality oil and or going too long between oil changes definitely destroys these engines.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You don't ask about your truck in a political forum, DO NOT talk politics in a truck forum.
Its the worst idea ever and causes so much premature wear to the vehicle. I would be venturing to guess on the wear of the turbos because turbos have bearings but they FLOAT on the oil which is pressurized. Look at any new turbo and the compressor wheel and turbine wheel wobbles by design and many think the turbo is bad, but when the oil pressure builds it floats on the oil which gives the bearing longer life and no longer wobbles. Similar to how crank bearings have no actual bearings, similar but not the same as turbo bearing design.

Also the CAM Phasers have to lock in to hold base timing then unlock with oil pressure then lock in again, back and forth.
We know that cam phasers had a bad design prior to 21-22 BUT maybe the auto start and stop also contributed to the premature failure.

MODERATOR EDIT: Political statement has been removed

Last edited by a moderator:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I jus instinctively hit the button now. I'm glad ford stleast let's us turn it off. My dads escalade won't let you turn it off...ur sol

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I jus instinctively hit the button now. I'm glad ford stleast let's us turn it off. My dads escalade won't let you turn it off...ur sol
You can default it to off, using FORScan or purchase an auto start stop module. However, I've read t it voids any warranty you may have. So, for now, I do the same.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea I can't afford to void that warranty...then again my warranty hasn't covered anything thats gone wrong with my truck so far
lol go figure, right?

Pay big bucks for repair contract and the parts that decide to fail are always the one not covered or a part that is covered failed because another part that wasnt covered made the covered part fail thus making the warranty company (Ford Protect) not cover it and use that as the excuse to not pay anythings

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lol go figure, right?

Pay big bucks for repair contract and the parts that decide to fail are always the one not covered or a part that is covered failed because another part that wasnt covered made the covered part fail thus making the warranty company (Ford Protect) not cover it and use that as the excuse to not pay anythings
I was thinking about getting a warranty after mine expires. but I keep hearing the same thing over and over.
With my recent service visit, the seatbelt circuit shorted out my seat massage control buttons on the side of the seat. My warranty covered the seatbelt, but I had to pay for the harness and button assembly. It even states that on my invoice.