Auto Start Stop Damage turbo's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a warranty after mine expires. but I keep hearing the same thing over and over.
With my recent service visit, the seatbelt circuit shorted out my seat massage control buttons on the side of the seat. My warranty covered the seatbelt, but I had to pay for the harness and button assembly. It even states that on my invoice.
Who manages your warranty contract?

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its the worst idea ever and causes so much premature wear to the vehicle. I would be venturing to guess on the wear of the turbos because turbos have bearings but they FLOAT on the oil which is pressurized. Look at any new turbo and the compressor wheel and turbine wheel wobbles by design and many think the turbo is bad, but when the oil pressure builds it floats on the oil which gives the bearing longer life and no longer wobbles. Similar to how crank bearings have no actual bearings, similar but not the same as turbo bearing design.

Also the CAM Phasers have to lock in to hold base timing then unlock with oil pressure then lock in again, back and forth.
We know that cam phasers had a bad design prior to 21-22 BUT maybe the auto start and stop also contributed to the premature failure.
I largely agree with this. The only 2 notes are that heat and pressure typically do the most damage to turbos. Bad oil too but that’s more rare for well maintained vehicles.
The start stop happens in the 500-800 rpm range typically far below most turbo high spool speeds.
The comment about diesel is actually for heat soak. The engines do heat up like crazy but newer blocks do a great job at dissipating heat. I’m also not familiar with any diesels that currently (modern) require you to keep them running. Almost all of that is now computer controlled with fans and dampers, and auto start stop is even more reliable and prevalent with diesels.

OP
OP
F

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think there are add ons that you can plug in behind the button to disable it.
Yeah but if ford see's it you'll be fighting a warranty claim as they will blame every failure on the modification or add on. Moss act doesn't matter to the bean counters.

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah but if ford see's it you'll be fighting a warranty claim as they will blame every failure on the modification or add on. Moss act doesn't matter to the bean counters.
Take it off before you get it serviced. Other method would be tape the button down. The mods usually just short circuit the button anyways.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take it off before you get it serviced. Other method would be tape the button down. The mods usually just short circuit the button anyways.
I know of at least two of the current marketed hard-wire solutions are not simply short-circuiting the button. They retain your last setting. So you can have ASS enabled, or disabled, at your choosing.

2018expyXLT4wd

Reaction score
I've had an Autostop Eliminator (www.autostopeliminator.com) installed on my 2018 Expy for 4 years - no issues, simple install. Mine is connected inline with the switch on the dash and retains the last setting (on or off). I turned my switch off 4 years ago and never touched it again. No more disabling the "feature" each time I started up.

OP
OP
F

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As I understand it the ass won't work if the battery is low. There has to be something that tells it the battery is low. Got to find what sends the low voltage signal to it and if possible disable it.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had an Autostop Eliminator (www.autostopeliminator.com) installed on my 2018 Expy for 4 years - no issues, simple install. Mine is connected inline with the switch on the dash and retains the last setting (on or off). I turned my switch off 4 years ago and never touched it again. No more disabling the "feature" each time I started up.
Ditto - except mines only been in there for two years. Just can't imagine everyone having to hit that button every time they start there Expy that doesn't go "what the heck" (or something like that!) at least once in awhile.