Auto stop benefit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nytimes770

Reaction score
What is the effect of the auto stop feature on the different mechanical parts? For example will it wear down the starter sooner? The ignition?
How much gas could one potentially save in over 10,000 miles?

Plati

Reaction score
What is the effect of the auto stop feature on the different mechanical parts? For example will it wear down the starter sooner? The ignition?
How much gas could one potentially save in over 10,000 miles?
The engineering types say the starter and other parts designed for that service, so they can handle it. Batteries don't mind it, they say. Amount of gas saved is highly dependant on your individual driving habits. Time will tell , eh? Probably not worth worrying about. If you dislike it there are ways to get around it. Probably saves you MAX one mile per gallon on average. So it could save you 20 gallons in 10K miles. Just a wild guess, back of napkin calculation.

Last edited:

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like EVERYTHING ELSE, it will take 3-5 years for all the problems to surface from shutting this thing off a million extra times. Restarting an engine in general is very hard on them, but a few years from now we will see everything they they prematurely wore out.
I deleted mine.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford basically got forced into it by stupid government mandates. I was one of the first to install the auto stop eliminator . The starter being built tougher is laughable if it is mine should last forever!

2018expyXLT4wd

Reaction score
Will installing the auto stop eliminator void the factory or extended warranties?

Shouldn't. It's just installed inline with the switch and presents (and retains) the current state of the switch back to the system - rather than defaulting to on after each restart.