AWD shifts by itself intlo 4x4 at crawling speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ted B

Reaction score
I did a search on the forum on this subject, no useful results.

2002 Expedition XLT 5.4L

Sometimes while crawling in stop and go traffic in normal AWD, the Control Trac shifts into 4x4 and displays that in the instrument panel. I have to turn engine off and on to get it back in AWD.

Thanks, Ted

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There’s a fuse in the underhood fuse block, I think it’s 104, that controls the transfercase shift motor. You can pull that and it won’t engage- at all.

If that works, you can do the brown wire mod.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you tried you putting into 4H/4L and back to AWD?

OP
OP
T

Ted B

Reaction score
Okay, I'll try switching to 4H/4L manually and back to AWD next time it happens.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, I'll try switching to 4H/4L manually and back to AWD next time it happens.
Maybe you should try at home and not on the road. I know it is not doing it then but maybe it wasn't fully back at the AWD and shifting it will help it get back in home position.
I wouldn't want you to try on the road and it was something else and you get stuck.
Also you can get someone else to do it and you can be under the truck to hear or see anything suspicious while it is switching.

rjcnaples

Reaction score
I’m not 100% sure but I believe your transfer case has a sensor built into it that tells the computer when the wheels are turning but vechial speed doesn’t match. Which in turn makes the computer think your in sand, mud, etc. and that engages the auto 4 wheel drive. I don’t know why it selects low verses high 4 wheel drive. That in its self is possibly a clue? Your truck might even use the antilock breaking wheel sensors to accomplish this. The reason I say this is the fact you said you have to turn off the truck and then back on, basically resetting it for a time. So your probably looking for a intermittent connection issue so check all of you wheel sensors for good connections and any wiring that might have rubbed and exposed the actual conductors to water. Also make sure the transfer case wiring harness connection point is dry no water in were the pins make the contact. Try to be aware of any external conditions, such as weather related, it’s cold, it’s hot, it’s raining. To see if a pattern of acting up shows itself. Everything is a clue when dealing with a intermittent issue. Even the frequency of when ( time from starting the truck until you have a issue.) And the frequency of how many days between issue. Are clues to finding out the real cause. I would lean into the sensors because there are a few of them needed to make this auto 4wheel setup to work, they are on the external outside of the vechial, they all need good dry electrical connections at consistent ohms or voltages to tell the computer how to work,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The one thing I don't read here is did you run codes from diagnostic port? The other thing is have you had your windshield resealed? 97-02 models are famous for leaking into the GEM module under drivers side dash. When water gets in there, it affects a lot of things, namely the four wheel drive. When mine got wet before I sealed the window and wrapped up the Gem, and fuse box with plastic, my 4 wheel drive light flashed on/off. I think doing the seal up and letting the Gem dry out will probably make your gremlins go away.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Are you running mismatched tires? Always use the same size, on all four and close in thread. It Awd-Automatic 4wd. An annoying system that can't be shut off, unless fuse 104 is pulled.

dishgawd

Reaction score
I don't read where he says it goes into 4x4 LOW.... just 4x4... pulling the F104 will help determine if it's the sensor or the actual motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360