Bad ABS module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrm1208

Reaction score
Went to two mechanics and both said the ABS module is bad and they didn’t want to mess with it. Is it a hard fix? Where’s it at? Can the dealership program a used one or do I have to buy a new one? This is on a 2011 Expedition el XLT. Thanks for the input!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you replace the ABS module, the brake fluid must be bled - and the shuttle valves in the module activated to push the fluid through the unit. This requires special dealer equipment. That is probably why the two mechanics did not want to deal with the unit.

You will have to ask the dealer service department if the will install and/or bleed a used unit.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought a used one at a pick and pull. Replaced myself and had the brakes and ABS bleed at a local shop for $120. Just FYI...

OP
OP
J

Jrm1208

Reaction score
Bought a used one at a pick and pull. Replaced myself and had the brakes and ABS bleed at a local shop for $120. Just FYI...
Did you take the truck to the dealership to have them reprogram it for your expedition? If so, was it an expensive ordeal? Thanks so much!

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No dealer, just a local shop. I doesn't get reprogrammed, just bled by the computer by a sequence of valve controls in the ABS module. Basically a standard brake bled with the ABS bleed extra that requires a special "programming" tool. Basically like a fancy code reader with bleed function. Cost me $120. I did learn later the ABS in my 2000 was a two piece deal. The electronic part sits on top of the hydraulic part. Only the electronic part was bad and that can be replaced separately. Hope this helps.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Damn these expys are POS's. I've long been a Ford fan (my first car was a Pinto and have always had a Ford among others) but no more. I finally take mine in tomorrow for phasers and chains.

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've done this twice on my '07. I bought a used ABS module (electronic end and hydraulic end) from LKQ. The first module went bad in a couple of months and LKQ sent me a new one for free. The replacement job isn't terrible. In my '07, you remove the air filter assembly and driver's front tire. In hindsight, I you may want to remove the wheel well liner, too. Disconnect the electrical connector and the 6 brake lines. The first time I did this made me wish I had flare-nut wrenches, which I bought before doing this job the second time. Remove the module (3 bolts, IIRC). Install the new module, reconnect the brake lines, and reconnect the electrical. I used FORScan to reprogram the as-built data in the ABS unit. I also used FORScan to run the ABS purge/bleed program. I bled the brakes at the calipers, and then I did the ABS purge again, then bled the calipers again, just to be 100% sure. I apparently still missed an air bubble or two, as I did a few panic stops after I "finished" the job and the ABS system acted squirrely. A handful of additional panic stops, and another round of bleed/purge/bleed and all was good. In all, it took my about 3-4 hours, doing this by myself (other than my kids pressing the brake pedal during the bleeding procedures).

GNUT

Reaction score
Looks like I may be doing this soon. At once, my ABS light, traction control light, and brake like came on. Been driving like this for over a year. Drives normal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK