battery drained in 3 days

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckguy

Reaction score
I recently replaced the IMRC, at the same time replaced spark plugs, serpentine belt and cylinder head temp sensor:
https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...n-intake-manifold-runner-control-stuck.45688/
Drove it for 80 miles each day on 2 consecutive days with no problem. Then parked in drive way for 3 days and yesterday found out that the battery had completely drained. Today I jump started it and drove it around for 30 min with no problem.

Did not have the battery drain problem before the IMRC thing. I wonder if I forgot to plug something when reinstalling things.

Also noticed the cd changer clicking in constant intervals during the 2 days I drove it (maybe every 10 min or so). That thing had been bad ever since I got the car. I remember before the IMRC job it would click when I start the car, but then it'll be quiet for the drive.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How old is the battery?

I recently had an issue with my truck. Drive it every day? No issue. Let is sit a week and I'd have to put a battery charger on it for some time before it would start. Drive it somewhere, shop, it would start right up and drive home. Let it sit a week, no start till I charged the battery up again.

I was trying to find out what was draining the battery and having no luck when I noticed the sticker on the battery said "1/14". The battery was nearly 8 years old. Bought a new battery and installed it. Problem solved.

If it was an everyday driver I might not have noticed a problem till it just failed completely.

Had I disconnected the battery to insure no drain from problems with the vehicle electrical systems and then put a voltmeter on it every day I might have seen it drop over time. Just never got around to doing that before I saw the sticker on the battery.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The battery is about a year old. So I was thinking it should still be good.
Any power drain (especially below 9 volts) you have hurt your new battery do that three times and your new battery is really not reliable. These are not your phone batteries,(run all the way to dead) Your batteries for starting are meant to be fully charged at all times. So any big battery drain is a huge wound on the life expectancy. No matter what brand of starter battery

OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
After parking the car for 8 hours, the battery was gone again. Looks like I'll have to try a new battery.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also noticed the cd changer clicking
See if you can fix that by getting cd's out or pull the fuse for it so it will stop. maybe that your drain. I have heard of a lot of different things that drain the battery on this forum but the top two are rear wiper and cd stuck.

OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
Today I tested with a multimeter following this excellent video:

I saw that my passive draw was 220 mA. I have not figured out which component is the cause of this yet. For now, I'm disconnecting the negative battery connector every time I park it.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually places like Advance Auto and Auto Zone (in my area - you'll have to check in your area) will do a battery test/check. They hook up a small load tester and use that to see if your battery has the "endurance" it needs. I've seen batteries show 13 volts or so on a volt meter, then when you hit the start switch that will drop off to 8 or 8&1/2 volts and all you get is a click on the solenoid.

And, if the battery is that new, what kind of warranty do you have on it. Some batteries come with 2 to 3 year warranties. Might not replace it free, but might exchange it for partial cost on a new one.

And, my brother told me that awhile back he went to a parts store to get a new battery for his truck. The store employee brought it out, removed the old battery, installed the new one and my brother got in and hit the key. Nothing. The guy put a meter on the battery and it had died right then/there. The guy went back in, got another battery and installed it and everything was fine. New doesn't always mean it will work correctly.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Don't throw parts at the problem. Check out the system for any unwanted draw first. Beware of auto part stores "battery tests". They're like asking a barber if you need a haircut.

Get a schematic and pull each fuse until the draw is gone. Then troubleshoot. I'd start with the radio and rear wiper.

Either learn to do the troubleshooting yourself or pay someone who knows how. Blindly replacing stuff is just silly.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
220ma is fairly significant and will keep killing batteries.

Trainmaster is on the right track, wiper and radio are common issues. The fact you stated your cd changer has a bad attitude lately points to an obvious place to start.

Do you have anything aftermarket installed like lights, remote start, alarm?