Best Anti-Break-in Alarm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Douglasf1378

Reaction score
I have a 2017 XLT EL

I had my passenger window broken out by a POS. The sub-humanoid then reached thru the broken window to steal a bag setting on the floor in front of the passenger seat.

The Ford "stock" alarm did not go off. I was told that since the intruder did not open the passenger door, it did not trigger the factory alarm.

What is the best aftermarket alarm system? The only features I am looking for are:
  • Glass breakage sensor
  • Motion detection such as stepping onto the step boards, pushing or bumping the vehicle
  • Possibly a sensor that detects anyone coming near the truck and stating "MOVE AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE"
  • Instant text messaging to my cell of any activity
  • Possible video recording of the outside & inside that is auto loaded to the cloud not a memory card

Any suggestions?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the camera, go ahead and have a look through https://dashcamtalk.com/ That's the dash cam mecca as far as I'm concerned.

I would also suggest a Console Vault or similar as most auto break-ins, including yours, are just smash and grabs. They break the window, grab whatever they can in a minute or less and run. A Console Vault will at least deter those people.

As for the alarm, Crutchfield has some nice ones like, such as this one: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_041TN411/Crimestopper-Traknet-TN-411.html?cc=02

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep the factory alarm on my 2007 goes off when either A) 1 of the four doors is opened or B) the rear liftgate or it’s glass become ajar or C) Fireworks. I put a hammer through my window when I got stuck at the marina with keys locked in the truck and no phone or wallet (also in the truck). The alarm did however go off as soon as I opened the door. The Ford dealer got me the glass fast after a phone call for $80 I believe. Took about half hour to replace the window.
0975B8A7-3D08-4C67-83AD-CAA0C2DF8BF5.jpeg
F4A1BCA1-F06F-492E-9D9C-E0525C1E5419.jpeg

Last edited:

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Factory alarm wont go off unless a door trigger is activated. No shock sensor on them.

Any aftermarket should have at least a shock/tilt sensor. Glass break sensors are nice but my guess is if someone has smashed the window already they'll just go for the quick grab anyway and get out of there, what's 3 more seconds when you're that far in? Field disturbance sensors (motion) are great however can be prone to false alarms when you have it set to the sensitivity you would require to pick up a body just outside the vehicle if you want it to go full trigger. It's likely someone even getting close while opening a door in a parking lot could trigger it, even a large tree leaf. I've had people complain about both things. With the DEI (viper) units there are inner and outer fields that you can adjust, outer field would be the deterrent stage it would soft trigger with a set of warning chirps. The problem lies in getting both inner and outer to have a defined border being the el is a very long vehicle you usually have to compromise somewhere. Placement of the sensor would also necessitate removal/replacement of the center console to likely cover the entirety of an expedition el unless you got creative and wanted to do it in the head liner which would make adjustment a nightmare, under a seat maybe? Would just need to be careful with wiring if so. The field emitted is roughly an ellipse and having it located too far in front will result in either the field extending well past the vehicle front in order to get full coverage at the rear and you'll have constant false alarms and everyone you know will hate you.

Viper has a voice module that can speak as well as alert. You can use default message or use your own custom one. Fringe benefit is that it also functions as a PA system if you ever needed to yell at someone from inside the vehicle.

Waylens makes the Secure360 which is 4g capable camera that has a cloud storage option. A bit pricey but works fairly well. There aren't many options in this category. Due to the lens design its susceptible to lens flare and video is reminiscent of early go pro with a loss of detail at the edges.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2017 XLT EL

I had my passenger window broken out by a POS. The sub-humanoid then reached thru the broken window to steal a bag setting on the floor in front of the passenger seat.

Any suggestions?

Move to a non-infested, human area.....

Sorry brother, that really sucks....I'm not making light of that but you have to always consider the truism for infested areas: "If they can see it, it will become theirs"

You could always move up to Baltimore, I hear the mayoral candidates are all promising to stop crime!

jeff