Best oil to use in 2019 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swelti81

Reaction score
Up for first oil change on my 2019 FX4. Does anyone know what oil is best for this engine?

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're going to get about 2 dozen different answers on this one, and likely a bunch of references from Blackstone and BITOG. I personally just use the manufacturer-speced Motorcraft synthetic blend and change every 5000-6000 miles. From what I have read, it's a pretty highly-regarded oil and the price is very competitive on Amazon.

One note for you during the process: I have yet to figure out how to get the filter off without dripping oil all over the subframe. This car is the most frustrating I have had in the last 10 in that regard. Also, make sure the engine is warm and the fill cap is off when you drain the oil, or it is very slow on this engine.

Have fun!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're going to get about 2 dozen different answers on this one, and likely a bunch of references from Blackstone and BITOG. I personally just use the manufacturer-speced Motorcraft synthetic blend and change every 5000-6000 miles. From what I have read, it's a pretty highly-regarded oil and the price is very competitive on Amazon.

One note for you during the process: I have yet to figure out how to get the filter off without dripping oil all over the subframe. This car is the most frustrating I have had in the last 10 in that regard. Also, make sure the engine is warm and the fill cap is off when you drain the oil, or it is very slow on this engine.

Have fun!

And if you ask what is the best oil filter to use, get ready..........

Plati

Reaction score
How frequent should you change oil, and what is the break in period?

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went full synthetic Mobil 1 5w-30 and change it when the oil life indicator reaches 0% which is in 10,000 mile intervals for my driving.

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the factory fill usually, is it full syn, blend or conventional?

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I couldn’t find anything about synthetic or not. Most oils now are some version of synthetic. As long as its the right weight and a quality oil it should be fine. I say that but I have one oil I avoid now. Mobil 1 yrs ago they changed from their high quality Euro standard to a very cheap blend. My VW at the time went from 1quart every 5000 to 4quarts every 3000. In one oci. I switched to cheveron oils and it went back to roughly 1quart every 5000. My Sequoia did the same thing only it went from zero needed to 4 quarts in 5000.

So if you use Mobile 1 carry spares.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I couldn’t find anything about synthetic or not. Most oils now are some version of synthetic. As long as its the right weight and a quality oil it should be fine. I say that but I have one oil I avoid now. Mobil 1 yrs ago they changed from their high quality Euro standard to a very cheap blend. My VW at the time went from 1quart every 5000 to 4quarts every 3000. In one oci. I switched to cheveron oils and it went back to roughly 1quart every 5000. My Sequoia did the same thing only it went from zero needed to 4 quarts in 5000.

So if you use Mobile 1 carry spares.

Yup. They lost their BMW certification when they changed the euro formula.

Go full synthetic. Your cam phasers will thank you!

I haven’t had any issues over 2 changes with Mobil 1 in the expy. The penzoil plus is a good synthetic if you don’t want to use the Mobil 1.

The Mobil 1 has reviews on the EB engine as the quietest on a hugely popular oil forum. So there’s that....

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use Valvoline full synthetic change at 5k. Full synthetic is superior. I may go to amzoil. The big issue is the filter. I use wix. Never use fram anymore.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger