Best tires for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

alex800

Reaction score
So you decided against trying the Pirellis?

A did try the it with 44PSI and did not notice any improvement from 40PSI so I felt I needed to upgrade to more heavy duty tires. I feel more comfortable knowing that I have the best tires available.

Regards,

Alex

rice_classic

Reaction score
It's a trade off isn't it? I bought new tires for my 2003 (I tow a 20' enclosed @ ~7k lbs) and I opted against E-Range. Why?

The regular LT tires (General Grabbers) have a combined load rating between the rears 1500lbs greater than my total rear axle rating. Basically my suspension will fail before the tires. I also use a WDS (Equalizer) and towing @ 65MPH+ is a relaxing 1 handed affair.

Why not E-Range.. well because A: They weren't needed and B: because for the other 80% of the time I'm not towing I don't want an incredibly harsh ride.

Consider your trade-offs and needs.

Goats

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a trade off isn't it? I bought new tires for my 2003 (I tow a 20' enclosed @ ~7k lbs) and I opted against E-Range. Why?

The regular LT tires (General Grabbers) have a combined load rating between the rears 1500lbs greater than my total rear axle rating. Basically my suspension will fail before the tires. I also use a WDS (Equalizer) and towing @ 65MPH+ is a relaxing 1 handed affair.

Why not E-Range.. well because A: They weren't needed and B: because for the other 80% of the time I'm not towing I don't want an incredibly harsh ride.

Consider your trade-offs and needs.

You will never notice a difference in ride quality going from a load range C to E. What you don't realize is the E range tire will not sway as much as a C or D range.

rice_classic

Reaction score
You will never notice a difference in ride quality going from a load range C to E. What you don't realize is the E range tire will not sway as much as a C or D range.

True story bro. If my options were C or E then I would have opted for E, but they weren't.

In my size (OEM) and from where I wanted to buy from (tirerack) there were only 2 options: Standard and E-range and nothing in between in 265/70/17.

The difference between Standard and E-range is noticeable regarding ride comfort. Not my first rodeo in that department. I may have chosen the E-Range if towing was my primary function with the vehicle especially towing long distances and/or towing without WDS/sway control. I will only be towing about 10 times a year with an Equalizer Hitch. Therefore the extra reduction in sway from the E-range tire isn't worth it, for me, because towing a dual axle trailer with an Equalizer is, like I said, a relaxing 1 handed affair.

Secondly, there's the concern for load and price. The E-Range at the time was more than $200 for a set. They do offer 660lbs more per tire in overall load: E = 3195 and ST = 2535. However, the RAWR of the '03 Expy is 4100lbs and the combined load of the ST tires on the rear would be 5070lbs, that's almost 1000lbs greater than my RAWR and well within any safety ranges for all my purposes.

Now if I had a 3/4 ton vehicle and was hauling more weight and a larger trailer then the E-range is what I would have chosen.

Static54

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Milwaukee WI /Anthem, AZ / Grand Rapids, MI
It's all preference I guess. Personally based on experience with my 1/2 ton silverado I will be going with Load range E tires once my stocks are ready to be replaced. I had the nitro terra grapplers and they were pretty good tires but load range E didn't really change the ride quality too much (wasn't a concern with my
truck but is for my expedition) but totally changed the towing quality (even with my airbags). K

Chris_H

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the KO2 tires while towing? Was there a noticeable difference, or was it a "I just spent $1000 and there must be a difference"
I'd like to minimize the squirmy feeling while towing our TT, but if spending a bunch of money will still only make the Expy marginal at towing the TT I'll need to come up with other options. I'm at the GVWR as it is.