Best tires for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alex800

Reaction score
I need to upgrade my tires due to some recommendation from this board. I’m towing 7500 lbs travel trailer and folks recommended that I upgrade my tires to load range D or E tires. The problem that I have is that there are not a lot of options in my tire size (275/55/20). The only tire I was able to find that is load range D rated is BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA KO2 LT275/55R20/D which is about $237 per tire from Sams Club. The other tire I’m considering is Nitto Terra Grappler AT which is XL rated that is about $190.

I need some recommendation. Should I spend additional $200 for D rated tires or will XL would be a safe choice?

I currently have Pirelli Scorpion STR with less than 2000 mi on them.

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Load range is more important when there's a lot of tongue weight on your trailer. Your tires have a weight rating of 2403 pounds each. The bf Goodrich tire you've listed is rated at 2680. Not a significant difference, in my opinion.

OP
OP
A

alex800

Reaction score
But about about the stability? Will D tire be significantly stable vs OEM Pirelli tire? Also Terra Grappler has a weight rating if 2833 pounds but has XL rating.

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A 55 series sidewall isn't going to be too squishy. I would personally give it a try and then decide, if time allows.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I remember correctly in your other thread you're trying to mitigate sway caused by a new TT? Make sure your weight distribution is set up correctly first, this being determined by suspension squat and load leveling more than perception of sway when going down the road. Also look into the anti-sway (usually friction based) system that can be purchased with or added onto a current WD hitch. Are you running your current tires properly inflated? What pressure? What is their max? Personally, when towing anything with a decent tongue weight I max out my tire pressure regardless, makes a HUGE difference!

OP
OP
A

alex800

Reaction score
If I remember correctly in your other thread you're trying to mitigate sway caused by a new TT? Make sure your weight distribution is set up correctly first, this being determined by suspension squat and load leveling more than perception of sway when going down the road. Also look into the anti-sway (usually friction based) system that can be purchased with or added onto a current WD hitch. Are you running your current tires properly inflated? What pressure? What is their max? Personally, when towing anything with a decent tongue weight I max out my tire pressure regardless, makes a HUGE difference!

I already have Equal-i-zer Hitch and it is 95% percent setup. I still need to go to weight it just to make everythink is OK.

My current tires are Pirelli Scorpion STR. Last time I was towing I inflated them to 40 psi. I think the maximum is 44 psi.

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, i would run the pirelli tires and see how they do. Run them near max inflation (since max load is calculated at max inflation). If you're experiencing sway, then tires won't fix that. I've never used a weight distributing hitch, so i can't speak to that. But i do a lot of trailering. Too much tongue weight will make the front of the truck too light, and hard to drive. Too little tongue weight (or too much weight at the back of a trailer) will cause it to sway at higher speeds.