Best tires pressure for long trip high way drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll give the chalk thing a try if I can find some chalk around here (there might be some in the tool box).

I do have one question though, if 50 is the max pressure as the tire heats up won't that drive the pressure above the max pressure? Or is it the max cold pressure?

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That should be the max cold pressure yes... If I were you and wanted optimum gas mileage and least rolling resistance in all temps I'd run 45 psi, and see how you like the feel of it...

It doesn't get too hot here and I run the max cold pressure in my corolla which is 40, and immediately after doing that I noticed 3mpg gain! Not saying you'll get that on your expy, just saying it does make a difference :)

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that sounds like good advice. I'll set them at 45 and see how I like the ride. I have air suspension so I don't think it will make a ton of difference.

OP
OP
2005Expedition

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well since I did 50psi all around on my lt ( thanks to monkey advise ). Here is my final opinion, 50 PSI in town making my truck feel like it need a new shock and strut. bouncing around too much. 45psi feel just right.

50 PSI for heavy load, long highway driving, hauling family

45 PSI for street drive, daily, hauling kids, grocery.. short distant highway driving.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds perfect! Don't be afraid to raise it to 60-65 when towing a decent trailer as it'll really make the rear end wander a lot less :)

OP
OP
2005Expedition

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I adjust 45psi this early morning, i dont know because of the cool weather, but car run and feel extremely smooth , much better then when it was 50psi.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pumped my tires up to 45 PSI this morning and drove it this evening. I didn't notice any difference in the ride quality or the the handling but it was just driving on local roads and no highway driving yet.