Bilstein 5100 Lift Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Garrett

Reaction score
Guys, I ended up getting the Bilstein 5100's and I ordered the Expedtion versions for all 4 (vs f150 fronts.) Does anyone happen to know what clip settings will return to the stock ride height? Then I am assuming if I want to level the front that I can then go one clip higher on the fronts?

Thanks in advance!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They will come with a paper telling you what the clip positions do but its the lowest one that is stock height.

3DogRanch

Reaction score
Finally wrapped up the Bilstein 5100 install this weekend.. just need to take it to get aligned now. I originally installed the Readylift 3/2 kit and then realized the front factory shocks were leaking. I ended up coming across the Bilsteins that they just came out with for the Expedition and after some research ended up buying the rears for the Expedition and the fronts for a 4wd F150. The front and rears for the Expedition state only about a 1.6” lift and I guessed that the front needed more to come close to what the Readylift kit is. After 3 adjustments on the F150 4wd shocks I ended up on the bottom ring which is stock setting and likely could have just used the 2wd shocks. I’ve only driven it a little bit as I want to get it align before letting my wife put any real miles on it but the Bilstein shocks have made a huge difference in stability and braking. Definitely happy I went this route instead of wasting time at the dealership. The height to fender ended out coming to the same measurements as the Readylift, just now it has more suspension travel. Anyways the only part that matters.. the pictures...

Question for you. It's been over a year since you did this install, any issues with the stock UCAs? I was holding off doing this thinking I needed new Upper Control Arms, but it doesn't look like you replaced them.

Matt Garrett

Reaction score
I just bought the Expy 5100s and had them installed but I kept at stock height. That said, the paperwork that came with the front struts said they will lift the front up 1.5 or 1.6 inches (can't remember which one but def more than the 1 inch you mentioned above)

This thread needs more pics lol!

Has anyone confirmed the 5100 Expy version DOES yield at 1.5 inch lift? Tire Rack says MAX 1 inch front, 1.5 inch rear?

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought the Expy 5100s and had them installed but I kept at stock height. That said, the paperwork that came with the front struts said they will lift the front up 1.5 or 1.6 inches (can't remember which one but def more than the 1 inch you mentioned above)
You had them installed: what hours/price did they charge for the install, if you don’t mind?

Matt Garrett

Reaction score
I went to a local shop, front and rears cost me $610 ish with alignment and before tax. Believe it was around 4.5 hrs. Other places quoted me for 6-7 hours, or $700+.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Robert--that sucks b/c 1.5 all around with a 1 inch taller tire would have made it perfect for me. Can 1.5 even be achieved with the F150 shocks? Or is that a 1inch, 2inch, 3 inch? I want to keep my rake for towing and such...

WAIT, just re-read the "lowest" F150 yields nearly 3-inch of front lift, correct?

Looks like if I want to go mild, my only choice is the Expys 5100s at 1-inch front, 1.5 inch rear.

Can someone with the Expy 5100s tell me if there is an "in-between" on the rear (1 inch lift for the rear?). My rake is pretty mild factory, and I don't know what .5 extra might do to it, as I run empty most of the time...

Any before and after pics with the 5100 Expy 1-1.5 inch lift?

Last edited: