Bilstein 5100s + 3/2 Readylift on 15-17

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, I posted this in the 3rd gen forum but didn’t really get any bites. I’m about to switch out my struts for the 5100s and want to add 3/2 spacers, but am curious if anyone has done this, and what level they adjusted the 5100s to. I initially was going to max them out (1” in front, 1.5” in back) because I mostly like how the truck sits as it is in regards to how level it is. This is my first time lifting a vehicle, so forgive my naivety, but do the adjustable shocks actually ride differently based on where the snap ring is adjusted to, or is that irrelevant?
Thanks in advanced.

Conrad Penner

Reaction score
Hey, just found this post. Im curious if you ended up doing this and how it worked? I currently have a 2017 max with 2.5" of lift on all 4 corners. I just bought a set of the expedition 5100's and am curious if i leave them on stock setting if they will work with the lift. Any help would be great

OP
OP
L

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey, just found this post. Im curious if you ended up doing this and how it worked? I currently have a 2017 max with 2.5" of lift on all 4 corners. I just bought a set of the expedition 5100's and am curious if i leave them on stock setting if they will work with the lift. Any help would be great

where’d you get your 5100s at? Mine are still backordered.

OP
OP
L

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score

My understanding of all of this, and I’m not an expert, is that your setup +5100s at stock, or any setting, should be no problem.

Conrad Penner

Reaction score
Thanks Langer. I tend to agree with you. However i have ran into another problem. My spring perches/seats are not removable. I found this out reading on this forum after i ordered. Apparently 2015 and newer will have this issue. And now i have also confirmed by crawling under the ex. Its hard for me to do this, but it looks like im going to return this beautiful set of shocks. I had ordered all 4.
Now im looking at blowing the big cake on a set of ICONS. They will allow me to remove the 2.5" lift blocks i have and keep the same height

OP
OP
L

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Langer. I tend to agree with you. However i have ran into another problem. My spring perches/seats are not removable. I found this out reading on this forum after i ordered. Apparently 2015 and newer will have this issue. And now i have also confirmed by crawling under the ex. Its hard for me to do this, but it looks like im going to return this beautiful set of shocks. I had ordered all 4.
Now im looking at blowing the big cake on a set of ICONS. They will allow me to remove the 2.5" lift blocks i have and keep the same height

My anatomy is lacking, but is this what you need?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B4-KT1-Z24...e&pageci=acbfffcc-c05c-4c00-8c19-4ad6029bfafb

I thought I saw somewhere that people were successful removing it, with a press, or otherwise, too. I’ll look now.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...what-i-learned-that-will-save-you-time.39345/

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/bilsteins-installed-on-my-17-limited.36886/page-3

Last edited:

Conrad Penner

Reaction score
Thanks again Langer. i may have discovered part of my problem. The shocks that are in the rear of my ex have a diameter of 72mm or 2 7/8 roughly for a diameter. The Bilsteins are quite a bit smaller. I have no idea what is in the rear of this thing for suspension. I removed these shocks when i did the 2.5" lift spacers and dont remember unhooking any wires if they were the electronic ones. They are defiantly not the air system garbage i had on my last 2 expeditions. Could be a quick strut. Here are a couple pics

ALso, that item you have pasted a link to on ebay, Is that a lower spring perch for the rear? i cant find anywhere in that ebay description that says what it is

Ex rear suspension 1.jpg Ex rear suspension 2.jpg

OP
OP
L

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks again Langer. i may have discovered part of my problem. The shocks that are in the rear of my ex have a diameter of 72mm or 2 7/8 roughly for a diameter. The Bilsteins are quite a bit smaller. I have no idea what is in the rear of this thing for suspension. I removed these shocks when i did the 2.5" lift spacers and dont remember unhooking any wires if they were the electronic ones. They are defiantly not the air system garbage i had on my last 2 expeditions. Could be a quick strut. Here are a couple pics

ALso, that item you have pasted a link to on ebay, Is that a lower spring perch for the rear? i cant find anywhere in that ebay description that says what it is

View attachment 40601 View attachment 40602

I found that in the main 3rd gen thread. It’s called a spring seat, my anatomy/terminology on car part names is not great, but by the sounds of it, I guess it’s the bottom? Not sure if I’m answering your question, sorry.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/bilsteins-and-spring-seats.45948/page-7#post-427639

bryan

Reaction score
Don't stack lifts. I tried with a rancho quick lift and spacer. The angles are way too steep.