Bilsteins and spring seats...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Thunderbirdsport

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You ARE being an ass, you have you're own ideas. Better you than me.

I like to fix shit once and not have it go bad for many miles/years. Sometimes that doesn't always happen. If you've ever changed the shocks on an Expedition, you'd appreciate that point of view.

Cheap shit JUST. DOES. NOT. LAST.

Case in point...a previous owner put the cheap-ass quick struts on all 4 corners of my Expy. Now I can't even replace them with Bilsteins because the removable spring seats on the stock struts are gone with the wind.

All because some tightwad had hos hands on it. Yeah, I may be an ass, I'll own it. But I have many other things I'd rather do than change shocks every couple of years because I put cheap shit on. And there IS a difference. You're not a mechanic or you'd be aware of this.

I have nothing more to say to you. Good day/evening, sir.

OP
OP
Thunderbirdsport

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually I have a lengthy automotive resume~ and quite knowledgeable in the field. Novices often disagree but have no track record and little common sense. I really think you should look into an anger management class. :mad3:

You came into my thread, posted jack-shit that has to do with the topic, and in doing so created a shit-fest that's now dragged on to 4 pages. Lengthy automotive resume, eh? What...posting shit on forums and causing discord and strife?
Quite knowledgeable in the field? Sitting on the couch at the dealership while they change your oil?

Quit ******** up my thread, not that it can be helped now. JFC...

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually I have a lengthy automotive resume~ and quite knowledgeable in the field. Novices often disagree but have no track record and little common sense. I really think you should look into an anger management class. :mad3:

I especially liked when you called out someone for not replacing a water pump and other items while doing their timing set. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it....”. And then basically said all shocks brands are the same. But my favorite was when you schooled us novices on how all tires are the same because they are round and black. Amazing. I’ve paid really money to attend SAE conferences and lectures to hear their expert opinion, yet you give yours away for free. Amazing!

if we were able to squeeze your brain for knowledge, we might get the equivalent to how much water I like in my whiskey.... I like them neat.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I especially liked when you called out someone for not replacing a water pump and other items while doing their timing set. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it....”. And then basically said all shocks brands are the same. But my favorite was when you schooled us novices on how all tires are the same because they are round and black. Amazing. I’ve paid really money to attend SAE conferences and lectures to hear their expert opinion, yet you give yours away for free. Amazing!

if we were able to squeeze your brain for knowledge, we might get the equivalent to how much water I like in my whiskey.... I like them neat.
Never said anyone should replace the water pump when doing timing set.
Never said all shock brands are the same.
Never said all tires are the same
You paid for a conference??? I listed my extensive automotive background in here but take my word for it. You argue but you say anything to make it sound good. I hope you aren't married...........poor lady. Maybe too many neat drinks..IDK, you do need anger management classes though.:mad3:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never said anyone should replace the water pump when doing timing set.
Never said all shock brands are the same.
Never said all tires are the same
You paid for a conference??? I listed my extensive automotive background in here but take my word for it. You argue but you say anything to make it sound good. I hope you aren't married...........poor lady. Maybe too many neat drinks..IDK, you do need anger management classes though.:mad3:

Your memory is about as short as your skill set.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your memory is about as short as your skill set.
I said tires in the same league are pretty much all the same and if being brand loyal to shocks is going to cause grief get something else, and IDK where you get "replace water pump while you are in there, that would never happen with me. "If it ain't broke don't fix it"............have another drink.

OP
OP
Thunderbirdsport

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In an attempt to get this back on track, and to add an update, the Motorcraft rear shocks I ordered on ebay arrived just a few minutes. To confirm, they DO come with the spring seats, and they ARE removable so for you folks that have ran into this, or will in the future and find this info via search, you can get the removable stock type spring seats when you buy the Motorcraft replacement shocks.

The part numbers for the rear are ASH-12327, again, this is for the Motorcraft factory style shock with the reusable spring seat.

Now, the hell of it is, I don't know if I should use these and return the bilsteins or use the spring seats from the factory stuff and run the bilsteins and sell these shocks to someone who already have the springs seats...

EDIT, the Motorcraft shocks come with the reusable spring seat just like the factory stuff. That spring seat DOES fit on the Bilstein shock body.

Thanks to those who have made a positive contribution :)

I'll keep this updated with info for the fronts, they are set to arrive Monday.
Their part number is ASH-24742

I'll update when they get here.

Now there's one other thing that concerns me. The rear has some negative camber in the wheels. It's noticeable from a short distance. Would the bad shocks cause this, or should I look at some new springs too? I can get a pic if it would help..

Last edited:

no MORE_MPG

Reaction score
T-Bird,
Thanks for sharing your progress and especially being specific with the part numbers!
Despite the banter (that wastes pages and time), I'm going to file this thread for future reference.
BTW, I agree about Bilstein's reputation, I have had good luck with them in the past ('96 Passat). Do you feel strongly that they would be that much better than Motorcraft?
Seems most simple to use them as they are and return the Bilsteins, though I understand that wasn't your original intent.

Best of luck and Happy Holidays!