Bilsteins DIY for shade tree mech!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with how to take these shocks apart and tools needed to change my stock fx4 shocks to bilsteins. Always done my own work so really don’t want to pay a shop! Spring compressor I do not have.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OTC ClamshellYou have to have a spring compressor to do it. This is the one I have/used.

I did all 4 on a saturday afternoon, The first front and the first back took the longest but then the other side went lots faster. Aside from the spring compressor I don't think I needed anything else special. If I remember right, there was some bolt on the suspension that called for a really high torque number but I am pretty sure it wasn't that tight to begin with since it wasn't hard to loosen. I got it as tight as my tools could and called it good. (Maybe the lower rear shock bolt? Its something crazy like 400ft/lbs but I probalby got it to 300ish). I loosened up like it was a lot less than 400ft/lbs. I checked it again after 6-8 months and it was still tight.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are several Youtube videos that illustrate the process. It's not much different from struts on any other vehicle I've done, except my lower bolt was stuck and I set the bushing on fire to get it out. And you'll need the spring perch from the old strut. Aim the assembly away from you when disassembling. I've never had a compressor fail, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. The compression on those springs is really high when disassembling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett