Black Paint Code UA w/ flake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyB

Reaction score
While driving the mountain roads in Idaho last week above McCall, the front of my EBExpy decided to go deer hunting and took the opportunity to tag out as a large doe jumped in-font of our rig. Good news, no one was hurt however the grill, bumper, left head light, hood and left panel didn't come out so good.
I picked up my Expy today from the body shop and while looking it over I noticed the new paint wasn't the same as the original paint. The original paint has a very light flake in the black. I asked the auto body shop and he told me it was coded as Black no flake and then showed me the door code UA.
Any recommendations? I am very OCD about my vehicles and this is not acceptable.

Last edited:

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UA is straight black, UH is tuxedo black that is what your expedition should have for a paint code. The body shop should should fix it call your insurance company and complain, even if the shop painted it by the code they should have been smart enough to see the flake and question it. but you should also go to the dealer and see why it dosent have the right code on it.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
are you the original owner.

go to ford etis and enter your vin number it will give the as built specs of your expy

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UA is the correct code for "Black" on a 07-09 Expy.

Starting in 2010 MY they switched to UH "Tuxedo Black".

There should NOT be any real "flake" in the UA paint.

Matt

Last edited:

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UA is the correct code for "Black" on a 07-09 Expy.

Starting in 2010 MY they switched to UH "Tuxedo Black".

There should be any real "flake" in the UA paint.

Matt

UA is the code for straight black up to 2014 and had no flake or metallic in it, UH is "Tuxedo Black" and has metallic or flake in it. UH paint may have started in 2010 but Ford did not stop using UA then. My 2012 Expy is paint code UA and is straight black. also I work in a body shop as a painter.

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mrford60, my post was in response to you #2 post stating that the OP should have paint code UH on his 2007 Expy.
The point I was making was "UH" wasn't an option back then for Expeditions.
Its always tough trying to match a paint that is 5-6 years old due to fading, oxidation, fallout etc....and most body shops won't just use the paint code on the door because of this.

p.s. my original post should have read
"There should NOT be any real "flake" in the UA paint"

Matt

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most paint shops don't use the door code for that reason, they chip away a peace of paint and match it to get the exact color even with fade they match it.

I did my hood and front pumper and asked to match the paint, NOT TO USE THE DOOR CODE,

Last edited:

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Matt, JimmyB never said what year his expedition was, I just figured it was a 10 or newer, Mrford60. ps: not trying to start anything just trying to correct information.

MADEXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So what's the bottomline? Did you get it fixed? I had a similar experience with my Black 2005 BMWX3...got rear-ended. Paint job completed, then I noticed this beautiful black with metallic flakes....problem was...the BMW's color was just straight black. What made it even more interesting is that the BMW needed to be painted in two different places....one had the right Black, the other one did not. Two different painters touched the BMW, that explains the difference.

OP
OP
J

JimmyB

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back. Just some clarification, my EB Expy is a 2007. I did have a conversation with the body shop asking them to match the existing paint vs. using the paint code. I dropped of the Expy tonight, they said they would have it back to me in 2 days.
Thanks again!