Blend Door Clicks and Rear Lift Gate Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popsandthefamily

Reaction score
2015 Expedition owner with two major issies plaguing me at the moment. Hoping someone has an answer!

1 - Clicking from the lower blend door valve. This is the one that's next to impossible to get to on the floor. In the F150 it looks like you can sawzall a piece of plastic to get to it and replace, but in the Expedition I can't seem to figure out how to get this out to replace it.

2 - The rear lift gate will not stay up even after replacing the two struts. The third, power strut has not been replaced and with a finger, I could shut he rear trunk. It offers no resistance when in the up position. It also opens on it's own after you hit the button to close (will not latch 100% of the time and re-opens). When it does open I'm always hitting my head on it, I find I can usually manually extend it another half a foot. Not sure what to fix or replace there but I plan to do the work myself to save money.
Other than that it's been pretty good to us. Just hoping these aren't monumental fixes!

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2015 Expedition owner with two major issies plaguing me at the moment. Hoping someone has an answer!

1 - Clicking from the lower blend door valve. This is the one that's next to impossible to get to on the floor. In the F150 it looks like you can sawzall a piece of plastic to get to it and replace, but in the Expedition I can't seem to figure out how to get this out to replace it.

2 - The rear lift gate will not stay up even after replacing the two struts. The third, power strut has not been replaced and with a finger, I could shut he rear trunk. It offers no resistance when in the up position. It also opens on it's own after you hit the button to close (will not latch 100% of the time and re-opens). When it does open I'm always hitting my head on it, I find I can usually manually extend it another half a foot. Not sure what to fix or replace there but I plan to do the work myself to save money.
Other than that it's been pretty good to us. Just hoping these aren't monumental fixes!
I would get 2 more struts and send those back. I put 2 in mine and now it goes up to about 6'6".

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would the power strut be something to replace too?

No.

The power strut is designed to push up the tailgate until it reaches a point where the gas struts expand and push it fully open.

The power strut is designed to pull down the tailgate, until it latches.

I replaced the original gas struts on my 2015 Expedition Limited when the tailgate began to sag in cold weather. I bought OEM Motorcraft struts and they made a BIG difference in the tailgate opening.

Did you buy aftermarket struts, or Motorcraft?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No.

The power strut is designed to push up the tailgate until it reaches a point where the gas struts expand and push it fully open.

The power strut is designed to pull down the tailgate, until it latches.

I replaced the original gas struts on my 2015 Expedition Limited when the tailgate began to sag in cold weather. I bought OEM Motorcraft struts and they made a BIG difference in the tailgate opening.

Did you buy aftermarket struts, or Motorcraft?
I did aftermarket ones and they worked perfectly plus they were dirt cheap.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

On my 2011 there are 2. You'll have to verify that the same applies on 2015.

(1) Mode Door Actuator — Defrost/Panel/Floor Door: This can be accessed from underneath the LH side of the instrument panel.

(2) Temperature Blend Door Actuator — LH: This one is the stuff nightmares are made of. Officially, it involves removing the dash, heater core, etc. FTM did a video showing how to get the job done without doing that. It's still a ***** and you won't be able to get all the screws in, but it will work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986