Block Heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s finally winter here in Utah. I have had the block heater cord in the trunk since new. Just curious how many people actually use it. I would use them religiously with my diesel trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use it normally only below -20C (aka -4F) on a timer that starts up about an hour before I normally leave for work.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive never ever used one on a gas engine. It gets to -30F actual air temp here and I've yet to see a good running engine that wouldn't start up in that temp! I'm sure the heater would help it a lot, but its not necessary unless you prefer warm oil on start up.
My stuff now all sits in heated garages.....

Classic Hauler

Reaction score
I live up in Upstate NY in the middle of the Adirondack State Park where it gets down to -35 and nothing likes to start at that temp. My previous SUV a 99 Suburban has a oil pan heater which makes a huge difference with start up at that temp. I was considering gettng a block heater for my 2019 XLT any suggestions

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s finally winter here in Utah. I have had the block heater cord in the trunk since new. Just curious how many people actually use it. I would use them religiously with my diesel trucks.

When I ordered my 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4, the salesperson said that an engine block heater could only be ordered if the vehicle was a fleet order - so I was unable to get one.

Did Ford change the ordering process, to permit a block heater on the new models - or did you add one?

OP
OP
Fozzy

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought mine not knowing it had one or the mud Mats. 2019 Platinum Max. They where in the back under the courtesy paper floor mats They show it as a $100.00 option. I have the plug and assuming there it someplace to plug it in. It shows the routing of the cable and where to plug it. I have not looked or installed it. I have never used one on a gasser and the EcoBoost warms up pretty fast. I don’t live in SLC but they have a no idle law. I can see it helping if you couldn’t auto start it.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never used a block heater on a gas but one big diesels it makes a world or difference.
Had a 77 MCI bus with 8v71 detroit.
When it was under 40 out it would not start without either or a LOT of cranking.
THEN it would mosquito fogger smoke for exactly 10 mins.
Funny story about the department being dispatched to my house when my block heater failed but I had to start it...

With the block heater on for at least 3-4 hours you just touched the starter button and it purred to life with zero smoke.

I have started gasoline fuel injected cars at -24F and had a 89 town car that wouldn't run and a 79 Carbed 400 modified wouldn't either.
The GM 3800 fired right up.
Had many newer 4.6 fords and 5.4 and 6.8 fire right up at those temps or close to it.
That is the time to have 5w30 or 5w20 oil in them though...

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Block heater isn't needed for 95% of the population.

My Duramax Diesel sat out one night on a road trip and it was -18F air temp and I didn't plug it In and it fired right up. In my opinion, if its not beyond -25F AIR temp, I wouldn't waste my time with a block heater on a gas engine.
Don't get all hyped up on the weatherman scare-tactics he uses with his retarded Wind-chill factor. Wind chill does not affect metal, only skin.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Escalade had a "smart" plug that only allowed the power to pass through it to the block heater if it was colder than -20C. I was told, plus read on the forums, that if you cut it off and put a new end on and plugged in when it was warmer than -20C that it may throw an error code, something to do with certain fluid being seen as "too warm" and it thought a sensor was malfunctioning. Don't know the truth behind that part, but know it definitely didn't work in warmer than -20C. I grew up in Thompson Manitoba Canada, believe me, if you DIDN'T have a car plugged in some days, there was no chance it was moving! Many a drive to school was done on 'square' tires!