Blower Motor recall personal experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,
I see that Ford keeps pushing forward when they will attend to the Blower Motor Recall. I called my local Ford dealer and they informed me they have to evaluate my situation first to determine if something needs to be done now or not? I thought Ford was SUPPOSED to replace ALL vehicles blower motors? I guess not? Anyway the dealer had no 'new' info about the situation only to say that those who are 'smelling' anything or 'smoke' or whatever are to be attended to at this time???

Anyone know what the 'REAL' situation is on the Ford Company doing anything about this?

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford will replace the motor when the new part is available. Which is not so much right now. Ford will also replace your blower motor with the same model if they see evidence of burning. You will still get the new part eventually.

As for when the new part is available is anybody's guess right now.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford will replace the motor when the new part is available. Which is not so much right now. Ford will also replace your blower motor with the same model if they see evidence of burning. You will still get the new part eventually.

As for when the new part is available is anybody's guess right now.

About two months ago, my Ford dealer service advisor stated she ordered the new blower motor part for the recall (at my request when I went to the dealership due to the extended delay). Several weeks ago I was notified it was in and I had the HVAC front motor replaced.

However, I am not sure if they used the “old” still available blower motor (which is subject to the recall) - or the “new” blower motor which is for the recall.

I checked my dealer invoice and the notation states “performed blower motor recall xxxxx”. But there is not a part number listed or a separate line item for the blower motor part.

When I check my Ford Pass rewards website today, it show I still have an open safety recall for the blower motor.

Last edited:

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just check mine every oil change to look for evidence of melting/burning. Currently at 45k in my 17 with no issues found. If it does ever show signs of overheating I'll just replace it, don't have time for the dealership runaround. Same with my brake master cylinder, I don't trust the teenager service techs to properly bleed my brakes so I'll replace it myself.

My experience with my service vehicles and work done by any mechanics, dealer or private, hasn't been good. Bolts left out of my bell housing, broken plastic trim on a dash, mis diagnosed rattly cats as a broken flex plate, warped rotors from not properly torqued wheels...

OP
OP
NorthGeorgia

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just check mine every oil change to look for evidence of melting/burning. Currently at 45k in my 17 with no issues found. If it does ever show signs of overheating I'll just replace it, don't have time for the dealership runaround. Same with my brake master cylinder, I don't trust the teenager service techs to properly bleed my brakes so I'll replace it myself.

My experience with my service vehicles and work done by any mechanics, dealer or private, hasn't been good. Bolts left out of my bell housing, broken plastic trim on a dash, mis diagnosed rattly cats as a broken flex plate, warped rotors from not properly torqued wheels...
Interesting? I appreciate your insight.

May I ask.....what and where do you look to see if there is any melting/burning? I change my own oil and my son (a Master Tech for Lexus/Toyota) do all the work on my 17 Expedition which now has 94,000 miles (I bought it new).

The only problem I see in replacing a blower motor is the replacement, at present, will be the same unit that is in there now.

We did smell something about 30,000 miles ago but have not noticed anything since. So I am thinking I should just wait and see what FORD is actually going to do......or not.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Passenger side under the dash is where to check. The power plug is there, and the bottom of the fan assembly, it's held on by three bolts I believe. I just run the blower for a bit and then feel around the housing/wire connector to see if anything is to hot to comfortably touch. If you really want to investigate it, remove the mounting screws and pull the assembly out.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting? I appreciate your insight.

May I ask.....what and where do you look to see if there is any melting/burning? I change my own oil and my son (a Master Tech for Lexus/Toyota) do all the work on my 17 Expedition which now has 94,000 miles (I bought it new).

The only problem I see in replacing a blower motor is the replacement, at present, will be the same unit that is in there now.

We did smell something about 30,000 miles ago but have not noticed anything since. So I am thinking I should just wait and see what FORD is actually going to do......or not.

Excellent video - easy to do: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=42Ae37Zx90E

prenticect

Reaction score
The service guy told me yesterday they expect the newly engineered blower motors by September. Mine is having issues. Thus why I brought it in so I would avoid paying for the fix. But if issues today, yes they replace it with the same design, meaning the same issue could happen.

OP
OP
NorthGeorgia

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
September...........OK thanks. I guess I'll call the dealership late August and see what they say.

cmc3

Reaction score
I had issues with the motor long ago. The chassis wiring connector had a melted contact. The motor side of the connection was okay. I went online and purchased a replacement connector. Which I spliced into the wiring harness. No problems since. In my case the motor and resistor bank were okay, just the chassis harness was damaged.