Brake Pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, Akebono makes great pads and are OEM on most Toyotas. They don't list them for the Expedition so they are out. I'm currently using Bendix CT3 ceramics on my Vic and may go with them again. Just wasn't sure about ceramics on the truck chassis. Thanks for all the recommendations, you guys are great. :happy160:

Tire Rack says the Akebono ACT934 pads fit the 2005 Expedition.

-Mike

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couple things to consider - safety vs cosmetic. I suggest buying the best-performing brake pads you can afford because stopping with dirty wheels is better than not-stopping with clean.

Also, I suggest avoiding drilled rotors at most-costs; unless you buy them from a VERY reputable company; even then, removing material from the rotors does them no favors in disapating or handling heat.

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couple things to consider - safety vs cosmetic. I suggest buying the best-performing brake pads you can afford because stopping with dirty wheels is better than not-stopping with clean.

Also, I suggest avoiding drilled rotors at most-costs; unless you buy them from a VERY reputable company; even then, removing material from the rotors does them no favors in disapating or handling heat.

Ceramics are usually the best type of pad and they do not dust, so you can have your cake and eat it too. I know I was having trouble with my last set of pads not stopping the truck enough with my sleds on the back. I bought some ceramics from NAPA and they were world's better at stopping the truck.

buildingdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got new discs and pads from autozone. Dust is minimal and breaking is good. My problem is the god awful sound during breaking from 15-0mph. I guess I just have to jack it up take em off and exchange them. Its like I get to do this for fun lately. ugh.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I thought the point of drilling, slotting, etc., was to dump heat? solid rotors absorb more heat with their mass, but the (lower mass) cut rotors, dump the heat, so the benefit would wind up being less weight on that side of the suspension, right? But, I have read that the (lower mass) cut rotors (drilled, slotted, etc.) will crack, etc., sooner than solid ones.

Cooper

Reaction score
Akebono ACT934 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Front Brake Pad Set For 2003-2006 Ford Expedition or Lincoln Navigator

Type that in search.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The Motorcraft OEM replacement pads are a very nice ceramic. They aren't very aggressive, so hauling a trailer may leave you wanting for more. But they are smooth, don't grab at all, silent, no dust at all and overall very nice. But compared to metallic, they really don't stop the truck as quickly. But with metallic comes noise, grabbing, squealing, beaten up rotors and grabby dirty brakes. At least that has been my experience.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Motorcraft OEM replacement pads are a very nice ceramic. They aren't very aggressive, so hauling a trailer may leave you wanting for more. But they are smooth, don't grab at all, silent, no dust at all and overall very nice. But compared to metallic, they really don't stop the truck as quickly. But with metallic comes noise, grabbing, squealing, beaten up rotors and grabby dirty brakes. At least that has been my experience.

Yes. There is no have best of all worlds. A higher quality and price pad may stop better but it is NOT because it is ceramic!
Ceramic tend to be the least dust but a lot of them also like to squeal. Some at first, some later, some come and go.