bubbling paint on liftgate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdherman

Reaction score
We have a 2006 Ford Expedition that is bubbling all around the lift gate window and across the front edge of hood. Some places have broken through and are peeling. Suggestions on how we should approach Ford about this issue?

Read the warranty carefully -- its 5 yr, but it warrents against PERFORATION. None of these gates perfs in time to collect under warranty. Sometimes people get lucky and they have a dealer that can fudge or just swallows the cost. But I do not think that the ALU gate will perf anytime soon.

4Wolves

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently in the market for a slightly used Expe ('05 or '06). I looked at a couple of '05s yesterday and noticed what looked like bubble rust on the rear hatch/tailgate. I have been told it's made out of fibreglass so it would obviously not be rust. But on both vehicles, they had the defect. In one case, it was in the lip near the window latch and in several places around the inset panel that has the liftgate handle. On the other it was in one corner of the inset panel.

Any ideas? Since I've seen the defect on 2 for 2, I'm guessing there's plenty others out there that have it. In both cases, the dealers said it is a defect and therefore covered under the bumper-2-bumper warranty.
I have an 06 White Eddie Bauer and am going thru the bubbling paint problem both on the hood and the liftgate areas. Its an 06 with 57k miles on it. I've taken it to the local dealer and argued 3 different times that it should not be happening on a 4 yr old vehicle, but Ford has refused to fix it. From what I can tell, this been an issue for several people for several years and Ford is doing nothing about it.

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got this on my 2006 also... 2 spots under the glass on the hatch - I'll pop up a photo when I get a chance

kbrehbay

Reaction score
Same here

I have an 04 with 110,000 miles and have the same bubbling on the lift gate and along the front edge of the hood. The hood bubbles have broken open and it appears to be white and slightly powdery.

u.p.expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2007 expy with 58,000 that has the paint bubbling on the front edge of the hood and right above the rear license plate. I am in utter disbelief that this is happening. I guess I need to review my warranty-from what I gather from what others are saying is that Ford will not do anything about this unless a hole develops? WTF is that about. I have not witnessed any gm's or chevy's with this happening so soon.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The hood and lift gate on our trucks are actually ALUMINUM panels. The bubling that you are seeing is due to contaminates on the aluminum along with cheap metal sealers that do not adhear to aluminum unless preped the right way. It is very hard to get this warantied since it is actually not corrosion ( rust ) but instead just bad prep work before the truck was painted.

vahsmom

Reaction score
'04

i have an 04 that has the bubbling on the stripe on the door. $500 quote to fix it; not cool. i have seen others with the same issue. they supposedly fixed it but for those of us stuck with it, not so good.

redhat6161

Reaction score
I bought an '07 EL last week with exactly 40,000 miles and noticed this bubbling occuring on the front lip of the hood. I opened her up and it looks even worse underneath (See below). I purchased the Ford 48,000 bumper to bumper extended warranty at the time I bought the truck. Do I have any coverage for this issue?

hosting images

free image hosting

post image wordpress

adult image hosting

free image hosting

I also noticed what appears to be cracks forminging in the channel on the roof closest to the top of the doors. Anyone else have this issue?

image hosting service

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65