bubbling paint on liftgate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XR4Ti

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently in the market for a slightly used Expe ('05 or '06). I looked at a couple of '05s yesterday and noticed what looked like bubble rust on the rear hatch/tailgate. I have been told it's made out of fibreglass so it would obviously not be rust. But on both vehicles, they had the defect. In one case, it was in the lip near the window latch and in several places around the inset panel that has the liftgate handle. On the other it was in one corner of the inset panel.

Any ideas? Since I've seen the defect on 2 for 2, I'm guessing there's plenty others out there that have it. In both cases, the dealers said it is a defect and therefore covered under the bumper-2-bumper warranty.

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its covered under the 3yr/36K mile warranty. If you notice it after that it is not covered. The 5yr./100k mile corrosion warranty does not cover it. That warranty only covers rust through. And by that time you have bigger problems. I just noticed it on my 03 that only has 30k on it. In fact its at the ford dealer getting fixed. From what my local ford dealer told me, it is because ford no longer epoxy seals, the seal looks like a bead of caulk if it done, the seams on the bottom of the door, hood, and lift gate. Moisture gets in there and causes the paint to bubble. The seam eventually splits if the problem is not taken care of. If you have the problem get it fixed right away. Its costing me about 600 to fix mine.

cahess

Reaction score
I am surprised that more people aren’t having this problem. I have google’d it and I have found several people that were having this issue. My 03 Expy had 5 bubbles under the paint, plus the entire bottom lip (on the inside) was a solid bubble all across. I feel I am **** about cleaning the expy, always clean all door jams and dry completely when washing. I finally took it to the dealer thinking to get it covered under the 5 yr/ 100,000 mile warranty for corrosion. Like the previous post stated, since it was not penetrating, they were not going to cover it. I threw a huge fit, complained up and down and called the Ford Customer service line. They struck a deal, told me they would do all repair work less 100.00. I even saw used ones on the lot with the problem. I think that helped me out. The liftgate is made of aluminum the bubbles are not rust, but a white powdery corrosion. Hope this helps everyone. I have some lady’s phone number from ford if anyone notices this on theirs and wants it.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, mine has it. I don't really pay much attention to it, and even though I like to keep my Expy clean, I wouldn't call myself ****. (Now get me a DA, and I will probably turn **** :D)

Hmm, forgot there was a corrosion warranty.

I could post some pix later if I get around to it.

Borowicz

Reaction score
I too have bubbles forming around the edge of the door latch cover on my 05. I plan on keeping this for a while, so I'll probably fix it myself. I didn't notice it when I bought it in December, but now they are quite obvious. If this is a common issue, it looks to me like a manufactures defect in production and should be recalled.

ONEBADMK8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has ot too. So do many of my Navigator customers, Ford is cheapass ghetto when it comes to this.

Boomer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had Ford repaint my 07 El Limited last July. Before you take any action take photos. I did not. When I went to pick mine up they actually put the wrong badge on the tailgate. They put on an emblem. EXPEDITION. Mine is an EXPEDITION EL LIMITED. Trying to get that through their heads was a PITA.
They finally changed it out.

ONEBADMK8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is an 03 they will not cover anything.

cjkoz1975

Reaction score
Funny I saw this today. I was just at the dealer with another one of my vehicles today, and I mentioned this to him. I have an 08 limited with the same problem. He told me it is covered under the 5 yr. unlimited mile corrosion warranty. He said to wait as long as I can, otherwise they will just repair it as opposed to waiting and having them replace the whole gate. He did state that on the 08 the gate was aluminum however. I sure hope he wasn't lying to me about waiting. He didn't know how may miles were on it. I have right around 36k.

jwood06

Reaction score
2006 Ford Expedition

We have a 2006 Ford Expedition that is bubbling all around the lift gate window and across the front edge of hood. Some places have broken through and are peeling. Suggestions on how we should approach Ford about this issue?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnjohn205