Building a 2006 5.4 what would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpav

Reaction score
For a reliable build what parts would you change or upgrade and why? Go :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder why it is being rebuilt? You could polish the crank and cams and get the head resurfaced. Hone the cylinders. Clean the head at the shop. I dont know about that year parts. If you jnow enough to try a rebuild you probably know that stuff.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As you've probably read here and online, 05/06 Expeditions had their teething problems. When you say building, are you just refreshing the motor? New piston rings, valve grind, new crank bearings? I'd put in the better Melling oil pump, new Ford cam phasers, VVT cam solenoids, new plastic intake manifold, and hoses.other than that. It's up to you if you want to up the horsepower from the 300 that your 06 came with. Depending on mileage and wear, you might have to go with an overbore, .030 or so. Obviously new timing chains, and tensioners.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jpav

Reaction score
Hey all. Thanks for the comments. This was asked while it was in the shop waiting in line for a rebuild. I’d take on the project myself if time but this is my wife’s vehicle and hauls around kids in car seats so needed to get it done. Rebuilding by a local engine rebuild shop. R&R completely rebuilt. Stopped in a few times to check on progress and saw the chain had worn metal off the block (back side of the power steering mount behind timing cover I think) in a cast area. Guides of course all worn and broken. Bearings scored a few pretty bad. Some metal in a few pistons. Builder was proud to have it much tighter than factory tolerances and said it spin nicely still.

New seals and any wear items everywhere of course new cam and lifters. Meling M340HV which is their high volume pump. He was a little worried it might be too much pressure with the tight build and an experience he had doing a motor for a friend a couple years back but believed that was the ford racing high pressure pump he used on that one that threw codes. Normally has built them with phasers from a company Meling bought recently but was fine with using the OEM parts nd think that cost me an extra $80 or so which I offered to pay the increase in part price.

Should have taken some pictures as it was nice looking at it in various build stages and painted up before putting in. All in all the build took 3 or 4 days after engine was out because of backlog for them. Last day was waiting for the oil pump I ordered to arrive and day before that the lifters sent had 4 that looked used like someone had returned a set so was waiting for new ones on that.

Costs was just about $6000 plus a little more for belts and hoses and some hard to get to may as well while it is apart sensors. 3 year warranty, and what I truly believe will be a better than factory crate replacement. I know a lot say start with another vehicle but my thinking is we now have a zero mile motor that should last longer than we would have planned to keep it. Still a little way from the 500 mile first oil change. Nice to be so quiet and smooth now even wind noise can be heard though.

Then a few days after getting it back, freak hail storm in the area golf ball to egg size hail out about a dozen big dents and chips and broke a few plastic trim pieces (this should all be handled by insurance soon). Live in an area where even pea size hail would be considered large so there are tons of insurance backlogs in the area now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk