Bunkhouse Travel Trailer for Behind the '15 EL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwells

Reaction score
Have to agree with Bedrck47. Watch the tongue weights, and actually measure it. I tow a Sunnybrook 267RL with my 2014 Expy XL 4wd. The tt overall length is 29.5'. Rated dry weight was 6300 lbs. I bought a tongue weight scale, about $125.00 but you can jury rig a bathroom scale. The calculated tongue weight of 13 to 15 percent was in range, but after loading the tt, and check with the scale, I was at 1100 lbs. Over the 920 lbs. rating on the hitch. I did the required weight shifting and am now in range.
This is a critical measurement which is often overlooked and very much underrated, especially by those who sell travel trailers.
I suggest all who tow trailers to determine the actual trailer weights at a CAT scale, the cost is minimal, and determine the actual tongue weight. Keep within the specified maximums for safety.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About ten years ago I moved from Oklahoma to Indiana. I took a load with me when I headed this direction, because my wife and kids were coming after school was out. Anyway, I didn't have a scale to measure the tongue weight but the guy at the UHaul place said that I should use 250 to 300 lbs tongue weight. My 18 year old son at the time weighed 270 lbs so I had him stand on the trailer hitch and I measured the deflection in inches. When I loaded the trailer I just made sure that I had the deflection. It worked perfectly.

Deesko

Reaction score
I am wayyyyy late on this thread but figured I'd throw in my 2 pennies...

We were looking for a travel travel that would sleep anywhere from 6 to 10 people comfortably and something that could be easily towed with an Expedition or Yukon style SUV.

We picked up a 2017 Coachmen 289TBSS. It's in their ultralite series. It has a queen bed, 3 twin bunk beds, 1 twin sofa bed, 1 full/queen sofa bed and the dinette that turns into a full bed, full kitchen, bathroom, motorized awning, camp kitchen w/ exterior fridge etc.

We routinely camp with my wife & I, our 3 kids plus my BIL and his kid comfortably and don't even need to fold out the couches or dinette and have plenty of space for everything.

It runs around 5720 "dry" and GVWR is around 7600 which gives us plenty of headroom on the max tow weight of the Expedition IMO.

http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=62&ModelID=2076#Main

TT.jpg

trailer2.jpg

trailer3.jpg

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Almost the same as mine! 2015 300BHS. Looks like the same Equalizer WD hitch setup too!

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My daughter's family has a very similar rig, '14 Expedition EL and a Jayco 267BHSW. Because it did NOT come with the HD trailer tow option, they added the HD radiator and the auxiliary transmission cooler. No problems towing from MI to Disney World and back last year, plus several other much shorter trips.

Waterlizard

Reaction score
It is a 4x4 so the max would by 9,100.

Yes I am asking because I have doubts about towing the one mentioned behind the Expy. I don't like playing that close to the limits.

I do "have a line on" the travel trailer mentioned above, but haven't commited in any way, I just like the lay out, a lot and have actually been in it. I have my truck to tow it if I were to get it, but would like to use the familytruckster rather than the toy to haul it. Hence why I was looking for opinions, here, from those whom own similar cars on what they might have behind theirs. If this site is just for lightbulb reviews I'll just post elsewhere. :rolleyes: To those with helpful posts, thank you.

Like what has been mentioned before, you are not pretty much over the capacity of the expy. Here are my thoughts for finding a tt to tow behind the expy. Your expy can tow 9100 with a 150lb driver and nothing else in the cab. Last time I checked average American is slightly heavier. I added my wife kid and 3 more adults just in case we bring some family with us and then some to my calculations. For me that means I wouldn't let myself get more than 8000 loaded. Always always first look at loaded weight, and tongue weight. Again give yourself wiggle room on tongue weight, because that's where your storage is and it is easy to add 100-200lbs with things. I tried to stay under 800lbs. Next is length, don't make the rookie mistake(not saying you will) of thinking the number in the model is the true length. We have the Salem cruise lite 273QBXL which is advertised as a 27ft tt. Busy out the tape measure and it is 33ft tip to tail(I wouldn't go much over that). With something that long absolutely requires sway control on the hitch. We have a husky round bar hitch with two sway bars and it would not be safe or smart to tow without sway bars!! If you're like me it helps to see the numbers of other people's set up. I have a 2008 expy not el towing Salem cruise lite 273QBXL.
Dry Weight
6,118 lbs.
Payload Capacity
1,642 lbs.
GVWR
7,760 lbs.
Hitch Weight
760 lbs.
I have had zero issues towing this with my expy!! Lastly on the rv forums you may find a good amount of people that will say not to tow more than 26ft with the expy and will just say use your power stroke. I'm here to tell you your expy will tow beautifully! Hope this helps!