Buying a used ford expedition and most do not have HD tow package can one be installed aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Deadman - Can you elaborate? I know in a 15-17 it's pretty damn easy... I'm also considering an 18+ and I guess I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Read thru the links someone posted in here, theres a LOT involved. Software and all the electronic locker stuff, the 2 speed transfer case, etc. Abs reluctors, gear swap, and all the unthought of did bits that the computer flips out over!

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the 3.73 hold you back better when engine braking? I came down Teton pass this past Saturday with my non HD tow max. I was in 1st gear with engine screaming trying to keep it below 40 mph. My trans temp was 238.
This was pulling ~2,500 lbs (trailer + 1/2 cow) with 8 people in my expedition (6kids).

for reference, Teton pass is 10% grade with lots of hairpin turns.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is an easy way to convert a 4th Gen if you don’t have the tow package. Simply trade it in for one that has it. WAY cheaper!! We were very surprised when we started looking for a replacement for our 2003 in early 2019. We wanted a 2014-16, but we made the mistake of test driving a 2018, which sealed our fate. The surprise came at the lack of a standard low range on the 4x4. We had to drive over 500 miles to get one with the tow package at the price we wanted. Don’t compromise on one without the tow package!!!

sanman28

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had to have built with all the stuff i wanted....including tow.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also had to order mine. Early on Ford had trouble with the production rates of the 3.73 rear axle. My impression is that for much of the 2018 model run 3.73 rear axles went to Navigators and customer orders. So I’m not surprised that used Expeditions with the HD tow package are hard to find. They were really hard to get new. How hard were they to get? Most of us who did order were given estimates of ~ 8 weeks but didn’t actually get ours until 14-18 weeks after the order was placed.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also had to order mine. Early on Ford had trouble with the production rates of the 3.73 rear axle. My impression is that for much of the 2018 model run 3.73 rear axles went to Navigators and customer orders. So I’m not surprised that used Expeditions with the HD tow package are hard to find. They were really hard to get new. How hard were they to get? Most of us who did order were given estimates of ~ 8 weeks but didn’t actually get ours until 14-18 weeks after the order was placed.

That's interesting, I couldn't find a single used 2018 with tow package when I was looking. Ended up buying a new 2019 for that reason and even then it was hard to find an xlt with the HD tow.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dealer told me as well that VERY few 18's came with Tow pack unless ordered. I luckily found a hold over brand new 18 with it on....