Buying a used ford expedition and most do not have HD tow package can one be installed aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pete47

Reaction score
question in title, would love an answer to this as i cannot find a definitive answer anywhere else online

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Of course you can, but it will cost probably $7-10K to do it right. Its FAR more complicated than it appears.... Especially if you have a 4x4.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It entails a new radiator, trans-water cooler, and adding a 7 pin and brake controller. All this is to up the cooling capacity for the associated loads. Keep in mind your Ford capacity is technically unchanged for warranty purposes whether you do these upgrades or not. Ultimately it will go by your GVWR at that point when you tow. If you do the upgrades pay attention to your payload and gross vehicle weight ratings to fly legal and you should be OK. It’s a lot more work than meets the eye. It’s a lot easier to get the right package. On the 3rd gens HD tow and 3.73s are included on all Limited and above EL models standard. Most were ordered with it unless they were a base XLT. Not sure if the 4th gen does the same, maybe expand the search to Limiteds over XLTs.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plenty of tow pack trucks out there. Hold out. Really should be standard equipment on anything other than the teaser priced most basic one.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
question in title, would love an answer to this as i cannot find a definitive answer anywhere else online
No. there are a lot of hardware and software changes between the two, including wiring for the 3.73 rear axle.

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Of course you can, but it will cost probably $7-10K to do it right. Its FAR more complicated than it appears.... Especially if you have a 4x4.

Deadman - Can you elaborate? I know in a 15-17 it's pretty damn easy... I'm also considering an 18+ and I guess I'm not sure what I'm missing.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It entails a new radiator, trans-water cooler, and adding a 7 pin and brake controller. All this is to up the cooling capacity for the associated loads. Keep in mind your Ford capacity is technically unchanged for warranty purposes whether you do these upgrades or not. Ultimately it will go by your GVWR at that point when you tow. If you do the upgrades pay attention to your payload and gross vehicle weight ratings to fly legal and you should be OK. It’s a lot more work than meets the eye. It’s a lot easier to get the right package. On the 3rd gens HD tow and 3.73s are included on all Limited and above EL models standard. Most were ordered with it unless they were a base XLT. Not sure if the 4th gen does the same, maybe expand the search to Limiteds over XLTs.

Don't forget the upgrade to a heavy-duty rear axle. Can't imagine that being a cheap job.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gordon - Is it a different axle or just 3.73 gears in the same axle?
The 3.15 and 3.23 are both non-limited slip. The 3.73 is an electronically controlled, hydraulically actuated limited slip differential with locking mode. So there’s a different housing, a wire harness, a hydraulic pump, software, etc, etc. Oh, and the HD tow package also gets you different springs.