Cam Phasers or Turbo Wastegate Rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thomas Hardesty

Reaction score
Mine has the 3 second rattle on cold start up as well. I change my oil every 3-4000 miles regardless! I’m not certain that the phaser rattle isn’t really that harmful? I know the Dealerships will replace them all day long if you pay them! From what I have researched, to replace them the entire top end and many other parts need to be detached to perform this (FORD F-UP), cam phaser change, and the cost is over $2700.00? I have 92,000 on my vehicle, and baby it all day! So I’m as confused as the next guy as to the truth about changing these out? Seems like a Class Action lawsuit needs to be filed to get Fords attention?

Thomas Hardesty

Reaction score
Mine has the 3 second rattle on cold start up as well. I change my oil every 3-4000 miles regardless! I’m not certain that the phaser rattle isn’t really that harmful? I know the Dealerships will replace them all day long if you pay them! From what I have researched, to replace them the entire top end and many other parts need to be detached to perform this (FORD F-UP), cam phaser change, and the cost is over $2700.00? I have 92,000 on my vehicle, and baby it all day! So I’m as confused as the next guy as to the truth about changing these out? Seems like a Class Action lawsuit needs to be filed to get Fords attention?

DGeis

Reaction score
Mine is getting worse and worse. My shop did the cam phasers and then replaced the entire catalytic converter.

WALoeIII

Reaction score
You have both.

You can reach in (when cold) and push on the wastegate actuator to stop the rattle.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have both.

You can reach in (when cold) and push on the wastegate actuator to stop the rattle.
And just remember, it's a ****** design, it will be back. I had both turbo's replaced (since the actuator and spring assembly replacement doesn't fix the issue, it's more internal). The noise has been gone for about 10k miles but I've heard it a couple times lately (which tells me it's going to be back no matter what). Funny, my family had a mid 80's subaru with a turbo that didn't fall apart in 12 years with 200k miles. But things get better with time and a 500% more expensive design, assembly, and engineering right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

patterrr

Reaction score
Follow-up to my OP. Ford did the cam phaser replacement and the rattle did not go away. The rattle didn't change at all from before the work to after, which still makes me wonder if I ever had a cam phaser issue.

@WALoeIII I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, do you have a picture of what the wastegate actuator looks like? I'd like to try your suggestion to push on it to see if the rattle stops.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased my 2019 Expedition 10/27/2021 used from a Ford dealership with 32k. It was a lease from the dealer. 202a package and 20 in factory colored rims. Heard the rattle upon cold start up and concerned. Had a service Tech adviser bring over a engine tech and discussed the noise I had heard upon start up (cold ) and told me more than likely Cam Phasers. So Nov. 1st bought it in with an appt. To eliminate any questions I recorded the Engine noise after a two day set. They wanted to do a Shudder download and I created feedback against that. I did my homework with paperwork stating the issue is with the Phasers and that is in accordance with the recall. The vehicle still is at the dealership waiting for it's position in line for the repair and it is Nov.12th. Along with the purchase I bought a Ford Protect warranty 96 months or 128k. It is what it is. I have other vehicles to drive but just want the issue fixed. I have dealt with idiot sales people which were kids to service personnel that will lie to your face. Some things just don't change in the auto industry. I had that experience back in the late 70's while working for Ford. Got out of it, I had a conscience and went into Construction. Way more Money and retired from it. Pensions were well earned.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clearly FMC has no intention of doing the right thing for their customers. They are simply running out the clock. My VCT system was replace at 50k and I still have the light "tick-tick" at start up. This with supposedly "new design replacement parts". Thus far no warning light and it runs great. I'm now just hoping not to have to repeat this service before I unload the rig.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just an update on my Cam Phaser repair. received a call 11/12 from the Fire stopper at the Ford Dealership. Apologised for the delay (2 weeks). Due to the repair work being done. She also informed me that they were waiting for a part and would have the truck on Monday. Curiosity set in and I asked what part. She told me a Valve Cover..............For the life of me I can't understand the need for a Valve Cover replacement along with the cam phaser replacement. I didn't read that on the service Bulletin for parts replacement. I will get lied to again on Monday or Tuesday i'm sure. Stay tuned..............

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm so over this whole cam phaser thing and the wastegate thing. I really don't care anymore. Fix it, don't fix it, let it blow up, whatever. I'm also done with Ford. Won't buy another for a LONG time if ever. They have turned their backs on all of us, so screw them.

Interestingly though.....I parked in the street the other day after running some errands because I wanted to blow out the garage and the driveway real quick. Walking back to the truck (which I left running and the engine was warm) I heard a continual ticking. Some what fast, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick. Any guesses on what that is? Almost like the low oil or bad valve tick from the 70's. Thoughts?