Can I stop the cruise from engaging the brakes on hills?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe even "Eco" mode on the transmission might end this insanity?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe, ive never run into this type of issue in mines goin to tx, and the first hlf of the trip is all mtns. Only time it downshits goin down hill is when someone jumps in front of me.

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
Must be the fancier auto cruise models :). I know our Mazda CX-9 does something similar with its radar cruise turned on. But my 2013 Expy will downshift aggressively in tow haul mode, and doesn’t usually need to normally. Maybe it’s a difference between a v8 and v6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have all that adaptive cruise control garbage shut off, I hate that stuff. We have that adaptive on my wife Ford Flex and she even hates it and turns it all off. Theres always some idiot pulling in front of you or something and the thing is either screaming at you, or worse yet slamming the brakes on and scaring you out of your skin. Its an absolutely deadly option in my opinion. Its nearly caused me to get in numerous accidents because it panics and scares everyone in the car to the point you don't know how to even react. My opinion of course........

jwas1

Reaction score
I finally took my 18 Expedition on a decent trip yesterday and every single time it went down a noticeable hill with the cruise control engaged, it applied the brakes and scrubbed off speed. Then as it proceeded farther down the hill, the cruise thought the speed was too low, so it tried to accelerate back up to speed and by doing so the transmission often dropped down into 9th gear to make that lost speed up. Who the **** designed something so stupid first off, and second off can I delete the braking option with the cruise engaged with forscan?

Sorry for my rant, but this is so annoying my wife even asked why it was hitting the brakes on every downhill.

Any suggestions short of never using the cruise?

I ran it with the cruise engaged and it averaged 21.6 mpg. I then ran it with the cruise off on the way home and then it made 22.8 mpg. Its clearly wasting fuel and adding unnecessary wear to the brakes and transmission!
Tha

Tom T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have all that adaptive cruise control garbage shut off, I hate that stuff. We have that adaptive on my wife Ford Flex and she even hates it and turns it all off. Theres always some idiot pulling in front of you or something and the thing is either screaming at you, or worse yet slamming the brakes on and scaring you out of your skin. Its an absolutely deadly option in my opinion. Its nearly caused me to get in numerous accidents because it panics and scares everyone in the car to the point you don't know how to even react. My opinion of course........

you make a good point....when I said earlier, that it could be "smoother" I meant exactly this.

Well, there is still some way to go until the machines are better than the humans ;-)

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eco mode changes nothing, its still slamming on the brakes destroying its fuel milage.
I can make over 1 full MPG just by shutting this stupid cruise control off.
I absolutely can't believe they slam the brakes on with this cruise control when they are trying to maximize MPG numbers to satisfy the EPA standards.

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every vehicle I’ve ever owned with cruise control slows the vehicle when going downhill to maintain the set speed.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Crazy stuff....you can adjust the sensitivity of the radar that applies the brakes when a car in front of you slams on the brakes. This sensitivity setting will slam on the brakes either sooner or later depending on your setting and has nothing to do with cruise control. The adaptive cruise control will do the same depending on how close you get to the car in front of you. The distance setting can also be set for the adaptive cruise control. If there are no cars in front of you going downhill the brakes should not engage, period, and if they do it may indicate a malfunction in the system. The trans may downshift to maintain set speed going downhill however. If my Expy were doing as yours I would have Ford check it but if Ford can’t replicate the problem you’re back to first base anyway. Frustrating big time and hope you find a resolution soon.

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do other vehicles not slow your vehicle when going down a hill? A cop isn’t going to not pull you over because you were speeding in order improve MPGs. If my car allowed me to go over the set speed I selected, I’d be mad that it wasn’t functioning properly.