Can I stop the cruise from engaging the brakes on hills?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well yes it does and if I were ever to accidentally get to close it is supposed to apply the brakes to keep me from hitting the car in front of me. My area has lots of up hill/down hill roads and I never use the cruise driving locally because I can judge the next hill so it won’t downshift to 9th or 8th gear and like Deadman said it does improve MPG by not using cruise on hilly terrain. I do use it on interstates which have rolling hills and if I do 70 it never downshifts just engages the turbos. Drivers here and basically everywhere will drive bumper to bumper at 75-80 mph but I don’t play that game because it’s just not safe. I have never encountered Deadman's problem so that’s why I recommended to Deadman a trip to the dealer is in order.

Mothnuts

Reaction score
I think it’s part of the adaptive cruise feature, as both my F250 and my wife’s Expedition both feel like the brakes are being applied going down hill. I’ve never tried it with the adaptive cruise turned off to see if it still does it. Maybe i’ll try that later today.

Tom T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it should offer the option to do e.g. +5mph if driving down, and only then slow down. It should be a choice maybe including some chime if you want to tell you that it goes faster.....

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
......A cop isn’t going to not pull you over because you were speeding in order improve MPGs.......

Au contraire! In the eyes of cops, the are NO acceptable reasons to exceed the posted speed limit. They can and will ticket you for speeding when you're traveling downhill with a tail wind and going 3 mph over. Now, placate to their power, control, and ability to have mercy, and you'll likely get off without a citation, but do be aware that speed limit is speed limit, regardless of uphill/ downhill/ gas crisis or not.

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Au contraire! In the eyes of cops, the are NO acceptable reasons to exceed the posted speed limit. They can and will ticket you for speeding when you're traveling downhill with a tail wind and going 3 mph over. Now, placate to their power, control, and ability to have mercy, and you'll likely get off without a citation, but do be aware that speed limit is speed limit, regardless of uphill/ downhill/ gas crisis or not.

I think you misread my comment. I had a double negative “isn’t...not” saying that they will still ticket you. Speeding for the sake of improving MPGs isn’t going to get you out of a ticket.

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you misread my comment. I had a double negative “isn’t...not” saying that they will still ticket you. Speeding for the sake of improving MPGs isn’t going to get you out of a ticket.
Ahhh! You're so correct! Sorry about that. Well, we're all on the same page now.
Could you tell I've had a speeding ticket for something petty in my past?

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ticket will be a fraction of the cost of the transmission rebuild In 5 years because it so wastefully shifted and wore itself out prematurely all over 1 mph on a downhill!

My adaptive is all shut off.......

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do other vehicles you have owned not function in the same way? This is the normal operation of cruise control on hills.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do other vehicles you have owned not function in the same way? This is the normal operation of cruise control on hills.

Correct. This is another reason I was very hesitant to buy anything new. I'm old school and want control of things as cars were when people actually knew how to drive and didn't need a computer to babysit them. I understand we live in a society full of people that need help....
I would have bought an older unit, but I use it for my business, so it needs to have a newer appearance and unfortunately that includes all this electronic stuff. I'll work on a way to cripple all these computer controlled things, but 5 star wasn't sure they could delete this. I'll probably just drive it with the cruise off as It gets 1.5 mpg better milage that way, seems pretty stupid to even have the cruise to burn extra fuel.

I appreciate all the ideas and suggestions and comments guys! :). Thank you! I still love this thing, but just the little things get annoying at times!

Shaxs

Reaction score
Theres a button on the dash for that hill decent thing. I've never used it and don't really plan on it. I can handle the transmission on big hills and/or the brakes as I live in fairly flat land. I'll have to look a little closer at that button and see if its a disable or enable button. I can only HOPE its a disable button....

According to the manual, hill descent control only works up to 20mph.

"Hill descent control can maintain vehicle speeds on downhill grades between 2 mph (3 km/h) and 20 mph (32 km/h). Above 20 mph (32 km/h), the system remains armed, but you cannot use the system to set or maintain the descent speed."