Can Superchips and Hypertech Be Used At The Same Time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so here is my frustrating story.....

I have an 07 EB and decided to go with the Superchips Cortex 1950 because I thought it would do the following based on my research and pre purchase correspondence with Superchips:

1. Towing Performance Tune
2. Better Gas mileage tune (87 Octane)
3. CAI Tune
4. Tire Size/Speedo Recalibration

Items 1 & 2 worked out, but not 3 & 4. For item 3, Superchips has a CAI tune for the F-150 w/the same 5.4L engine but Sperchips will not let the Expeditions use it (for what seems to be a BS reason to me). Apparently the Cortex 1950 can't do item 4 even though one of their own sales/tech guys told me it would. Hypertech makes a Speedo/Tire Size calibration only unit. I would like to keep the Cortex for the towing tunes (which Hypertech does not have as far as I can tell).

So can I use the engine tunes from Superchips and the speedo calibration unit from Hypertech at the same time?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have it and you should be able to do #4...i can and have used it with 24" and now 26" rims...i called superchips about #3 when i got mine in 2010...they do not support it...at this time i was told...you have to go to advance settings where you can adjust the speedo...gear ratio (dont do if your gears arent upgraded)...tire size...speed rev...its there...let me know and i can go out tomorrow and take pics step by step

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can't load them at the same time. Whichever tuner you're using to upload a tune will overwrite the other tune. I would call about the tire revs issue. It's probably a screw up when they were loading the tune onto the hand held.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i skipped over the title...no they cant...but if your do superchips alone...im looking at the options you put...you cant run towing package and 87...one or the other....

OP
OP
J

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually, Superchips can't do item 4 on 07+ Expeditions apparently, which does not make any sense to me (and I found out after my purchase). I may end up getting the Hypertech in-line speedo correction module since I put bigger tires on my truck (295/70-18) and that is what I really want now.

This has been a PITA since I wanted one unit that could do everything (and I liked the fact that Superchips had the most tunes available in one unit).

Last edited:

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still don't get it. After all the money your spending why not get a custom tune. Mike@fivestartunning offers great deals. Read his reviews over on fordtrucks.com.

OP
OP
J

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good point, my only concern with custom tunes is cost vs benefit, time and availability. I have dealt with tuning on my car and custom tunes are significantly more expensive than canned tunes in my experience. Maybe this is not the case with tuning Expeditions??

I liked the Cortex because it gave me different tuning options in one package that I will use on a regular basis (i.e. better gas mileage, more power, towing performance, etc.). It was also supposed to allow me to change the tire size as well, but........ Also, I don't even know if there is a reputable tuner in my area that I could take the truck to for the tuning.

If I need a paradigm shift about custom tuning these trucks including the cost and availability, please do tell. As much as I want the additional performance, I also want it to be as cost effective as possible as well.

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I don't mean you have to put it on a dyno. For example you call mike and you tell him what exactly is is you want and based on your needs he will email you the tune.

OP
OP
J

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, good info. I will have to contact him to get specifics, but do you know off hand his costs for different tunes and if you can put multiple tunes on one storage device (ala Superchips and Hypertech programmers)?