Can we talk HD Tow one more time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm very impressed and curious what it takes to get that payload? Typically I assumed the less options on these trucks the more payload you are going to see. For example, most Platinums I see are in the upper 1400 range. Is the FX4 package adding more payload capacity? I assumed Max models would have less payload than non-Max because of the extra material in body, but is it inverse? More payload on Max models?
Not having the panoramic sunroof buys you the extra 200 lbs of payload. Glass is a hell of a lot heavier than aluminum.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think all MAX get the HD springs regardless given they are longer and likely packing more which makes sense.
When I was shopping, the FX was Hard to decipher Regarding what exactly it was packaged with. No doubt the giant glass roof is heavy. I wish my Platinum was just a small standard sun roof. Putting boats and gear up top is a constant worry about dropping a clip or strap and cracking it.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think all MAX get the HD springs regardless given they are longer and likely packing more which makes sense.
When I was shopping, the FX was Hard to decipher Regarding what exactly it was packaged with. No doubt the giant glass roof is heavy. I wish my Platinum was just a small standard sun roof. Putting boats and gear up top is a constant worry about dropping a clip or strap and cracking it.

I’m pretty sure that all MAX do not get the HD tow springs. I looked up VIN 1FMJK1HT0KEA13979 which is a Max on parts.ford.com and it showed as having the standard rear springs.
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/towing-capacities.43649/page-3#post-395215

Tripinbillie

Reaction score
Not having the panoramic sunroof buys you the extra 200 lbs of payload. Glass is a hell of a lot heavier than aluminum.
My guess is its also 18” wheels and a base package XLT. My 2019 XLT 4x2 w/Tow package, (non-max) (no sunroof) with 20” rims is 1670.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My guess is its also 18” wheels and a base package XLT. My 2019 XLT 4x2 w/Tow package, (non-max) (no sunroof) with 20” rims is 1670.
Right above the sticker he stated it was a max with the FX4 package. So yes to the 18” rims, but also skid plates. The careful reader will note he has the captains chairs which may add to payload as he doesn’t have the weight of the middle seat.

sanman28

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Right above the sticker he stated it was a max with the FX4 package. So yes to the 18” rims, but also skid plates. The careful reader will note he has the captains chairs which may add to payload as he doesn’t have the weight of the middle seat.

bingo. I do indeed have 2nd capt

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does Ford have a "payload" calculator on their site? If not they should. Payload capacity is really important to future buyers when shopping. Having to go around to different lots and open doors to see the sticker is so antiquated.

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2019 Platinum 4x4 is 1487 lbs. It has 2nd row captain chairs, hd tow, the RSE, floor liners and cargo mat. Platinum has standard 22" wheels and pano sunroof.

Maybe we could start a database with payload weights and configurations to determine what to expect. I am sure many of the options really don't make a difference, where others like the panoramic roof do. I think the 4x4's have a higher GVWR as do the Max's. My GVWR is 7450 lbs. 3375 lb Front GAWR and 4380 lb Rear GAWR.

GB19XLT

Reaction score
1619 for my payload. I was curious so I checked lol.
2019 limited max 4x4
No HD tow
Pano. Sunroof