Can we talk HD Tow one more time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shane - so any FX4 will have HD springs, or yours does because it's FX4 + Tow Package?
I don't know. You should be able to find the VIN of a non-HD towing FX4 and use parts.ford.com to look up the part number for the rear springs.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My FX4 Max with HD Tow

uGInwOs.jpg

Yeah, I'm very impressed and curious what it takes to get that payload? Typically I assumed the less options on these trucks the more payload you are going to see. For example, most Platinums I see are in the upper 1400 range. Is the FX4 package adding more payload capacity? I assumed Max models would have less payload than non-Max because of the extra material in body, but is it inverse? More payload on Max models?

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought fx4 came standard with hd tow So it would have the brake controller
2018 Max FX4 with HD tow package and panoramic sunroof:
View attachment 37834

I’ve never weighed it without wife/4 kids+car seats/gear/WDH installed (used 3-pass method to confirm hitch setup). But the weight was significantly lower than what I estimated.

Also, we considered getting the FX4 and having the dealer install the brake controller. The dealer quoted ~$500.

I have not checked the part number on my springs yet. Wait! I bet I can use parts.ford.com... be right back...

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score

They’re separate options. The price does get lower on the HD tow once you check the FX4 box as the differences are much smaller.

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am conservative.. that's why I'm trying to collect the appropriate data.

I think I've mixed up the overall payload (shown in the yellow sticker) and what the Ford Towing manual states (see attachment). This verbiage is from the 2020 towing guide, which has been cleared up compared to older year model tow guides I've been looking at. The older text was not always as clear as the 2020. No matter how you cut it, payload shouldn't exceed the yellow sticker

View attachment 37836
I think the towing guide is using a 150 lb driver in determining their advertised maximum towing capacity and payload capacity which is understandable because you can't tow or haul stuff without a driver, but that 150 lb driver is useless for most people. The door sticker is just the difference between the curb weight and the GVWR which is better for determining your own situation.