Cargo Management

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CGETX20

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what the best option is to give us more room when traveling to Colorado this summer and in the future. I'm all about function and quality, but would prefer to keep this within a reasonable budget (<$1,000, lower the better). We'll have golf clubs, fishing gear, strollers, bags, coolers, etc.. Most of it is somewhat oddly shaped, so I'm trying to figure out what is best between these options....

Hitch Mounted Rack - how do you package and tie-down your stuff on one of these? Do you use Plano boxes, Pelican boxes, or bags to cover your stuff? Still doesn't seem like it would hold the larger non-cubical type stuff very well (like golf clubs). Are the lights pretty well plug and play to the trailer connection?

Hitch Mounted Box - I like this idea, but they are sure proud of them. I saw it on another post recently. Any thoughts on this being better than the open rack with modular after-market boxes of some kind? https://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-cargo-boxes

Rooftop rack - what is best here; a basket with sides or a flat rack that you can add sides and other stuff to? Does your stuff get covered in bugs with a flat rack, or even with a basket that has an angled plate in the front? May not be possible, but could you weigh it down enough to cause your center of gravity to be slightly higher and increase your potential to roll in an accident?

Any help on this would be great! I'm open to all brand suggestions and concepts. There are just a lot of options out there...

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the stowaway2. Its absolutely huge. My 2 boys 5 and 8 sat in it and they looked absolutely lost in it. You could easily put those golf clubs, stroller, fishing gear, etc in it and have room left over.

We took ors cross country and put a "Double stroller" in it, 2 large cooler bags (flexible fits easier), 2 Rubbermaid bins of food, a couple cases of water, beach toys for the kids (shovels, large dump trucks, etc). I also had a pile of random tools in it and then we put 8-10 pairs of shoes in it and a case of pull ups for the boys to sleep in and all kinds of other random things. It wasn't even full, so anytime we bought things, we just tossed them in on top of our stuff in that carrier. We used to tow in a huge pack-n-play crib for the boys when they were younger. Its waterproof, lockable for theft, easy to access, and swings out so you can access the rear hatch. I use it on my other vehicles as well, because it fits any 2" receiver hitch. I made 22-23 mpg with it going 80-90 mph on the highway with a tow pack 4x4 max. You won't do that with a roof attachment dragging wind.

I'm not saying its the best way for YOU, but it works absolutely amazingly for us! We take 5-6 people in my Max and take 2 weeks worth of stuff with us!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a hitch mounted rack and a huge bag that we put on it, and it absolutely sucked. You needed to check your tie downs and then hope nothing fell off on the road behind you and then nothing was secure or locked and we stay at hotels on the road and the parking lot thieves would be tempted to steal that stuff on an open rack.

Remember if you do something on the roof, you now need to climb up there every time you want to open it, or adjust straps or whatever you need, its always on the roof.

OP
OP
C

CGETX20

Reaction score
I have the stowaway2. Its absolutely huge. My 2 boys 5 and 8 sat in it and they looked absolutely lost in it. You could easily put those golf clubs, stroller, fishing gear, etc in it and have room left over.

We took ors cross country and put a "Double stroller" in it, 2 large cooler bags (flexible fits easier), 2 Rubbermaid bins of food, a couple cases of water, beach toys for the kids (shovels, large dump trucks, etc). I also had a pile of random tools in it and then we put 8-10 pairs of shoes in it and a case of pull ups for the boys to sleep in and all kinds of other random things. It wasn't even full, so anytime we bought things, we just tossed them in on top of our stuff in that carrier. We used to tow in a huge pack-n-play crib for the boys when they were younger. Its waterproof, lockable for theft, easy to access, and swings out so you can access the rear hatch. I use it on my other vehicles as well, because it fits any 2" receiver hitch. I made 22-23 mpg with it going 80-90 mph on the highway with a tow pack 4x4 max. You won't do that with a roof attachment dragging wind.

I'm not saying its the best way for YOU, but it works absolutely amazingly for us! We take 5-6 people in my Max and take 2 weeks worth of stuff with us!

Thanks for the info @Deadman , that seems like an incredible amount of stuff to fit in there. We also make an overnight stop at a hotel on the way. Do you feel comfortable that it's secure overnight? I'd be sick if I lost my clubs and fishing gear in one swoop! Also, which size unit do you have? I'm guessing the "max"?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info @Deadman , that seems like an incredible amount of stuff to fit in there. We also make an overnight stop at a hotel on the way. Do you feel comfortable that it's secure overnight? I'd be sick if I lost my clubs and fishing gear in one swoop! Also, which size unit do you have? I'm guessing the "max"?

Max 4x4 with 2nd row Captains. I do watch where I park at hotels. I usually back it into a spot by a hedge or something where nobody can really see it so there's less temptation. Otherwise I park it under a bright light. Its pretty secure. I lock the box and lock the hitch pin, so Its about as secure as its gonna get. Any idiot can break into anything if they are committed!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its got functioning tail lights and the license plate mounts on the back , so you are safe and legal. I HATED the rack, because my stuff always wanted to block the vehicles taillights, and I did NOT want someone to rear-end me on my vacation out of state. Not worth that headache.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
some considerations for your external storage:
  • waterproofing - rain will get into everything outside.
  • theft-proofing. people will steal anything and everything they can get to.
  • ground clearance when backing up (consider one of the pivot racks)
  • hatch clearance when opening - you don't want to have to unload it every time you want to open the rear hatch.
  • anything on top will increase drag and reduce fuel mileage, but... a top box has an incredible amount of room. I bought a lockable one on Amazon for less than two hundred (I think) that I was very happy with. I did carry a stepladder so I could get to it when not at home.

lam396

Reaction score
I use a large box on top and also have a hitch mounted rack to use when needed that also doubles as a bike rack. They each have pros and cons. I use a locking hitch pin with a locking cable if I'm going to be traveling. I normally either use totes (never had water get in them) or just page things on it that can get wet. I put my large 70 qt cooler on it and it's really nice to grab drinks while stopped. Lightweight but bulky gear goes uptop. Pic below is of a recent trip with the cargo box and bikes on the rack but you get the point. I've never had issues with the lights being blocked either. But using some accessory lights would be plug and play. 095638ef58f058d45ebe2dcf076c575e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heres a video showing what they all had in it....

That is probably the best for vacations and trips where you don’t pull a trailer or need a bike rack. I want one, but it’s one more huge thing to store. The price isn’t bad if you consider a mid grade roof top box is around $500.00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire