Carmax out offers Carvana and Dealerships for our Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trunk monkey

Reaction score
Our 2018 Max XLT 4X4 was getting up there in miles and we decided it was time for a 2020. Having been scarred from many years of selling my cars via private party (best/worst story about a guy who pulled out his Johnson in my driveway), I decided to trade the big girl in.

I got an offer over the internet from Carvana for 36k. I took that offer into the dealerships with me, and was told over and over they would not beat it. On a whim, I took it to Carmax...they offered 37k. I pay a low flat sales tax on new car purchases, so the tax advantage of trading it in was moot. One dealership in was willing to match the carmax offer over the phone, but said they would go over it "with a fine tooth comb". So after calling friends and family letting them know they could have it for the carmax price, I had no takers, and sold her to Carmax.

Thought I'd share for anyone who might be in the same boat.

thumbnail.jpg

OP
OP
T

trunk monkey

Reaction score
37k not too bad, how many miles were on it?

44K. According to the carfax appraiser, no one is buying new cars...so no one is trading in. But the demand for 1-3 year old cars is steady, even with Hertz cars flooding the market. I figured they'd offer 33-34k. Beating the dealer was a major plus

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man I’m living wrong if 44k is worn out and time for a new ride.

any insight as to what they will do to your new purchase price without the trade bait? Good news is GA is a good place to buy new cars. There and FL had best deals I found. I went with one in Savannah.

OP
OP
T

trunk monkey

Reaction score
Man I’m living wrong if 44k is worn out and time for a new ride.

any insight as to what they will do to your new purchase price without the trade bait? Good news is GA is a good place to buy new cars. There and FL had best deals I found. I went with one in Savannah.

Without making any political statement...in 2016 Trump doubled the tax deduction for suvs and trucks with a gvwr of 6000lbs and above. We use this Expy for business and with the deduction it made a lotta $sense$ to sell the old.

‘best deal so far is Alexandria “Castrucci” Ford in KY. 2020 XLT Max 4x4 $50,054. Should be getting it tomorrow barring any “baiting”.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You’ve got to be kidding. That dealer is maybe 15 minutes from me. I couldn’t get any dealer around here to get serious or to do as well as the guys in the south. Had two dealers tell me the further north you get, the more dealers use just the factory incentives and won’t deal on price. Seems more friends and family and ford workers live up here so they count on just selling that way.

I talked to castrucci about Lincoln’s too and they couldn’t do what other dealers could. Guess they don’t want to be seen giving deals to locals.

OP
OP
T

trunk monkey

Reaction score
I talked to castrucci about Lincoln’s too and they couldn’t do what other dealers could. Guess they don’t want to be seen giving deals to locals.

I dont have the keys in my hands yet. I have paid for the Expy, but until I walk out the door (tomorrow at 1ish), anything can happen. Will keep you posted