CarPlay and iPhone 12 Pro Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nobrainer

Reaction score
Since my wife and I upgraded our phones from 11 Pro max to 12 pro max, it seems as if our vehicle is no longer recognizing when our phone(s) are connected for car play. They connect via blue tooth, they register the cable is plugged in and charging, but CarPlay will rarely pop up on the infotainment. It went from working (nearly) every time with our 11 Pro Max phones, to only working about 1 out of 3 days (or sometimes after extended power off time for the vehicle - many hours but never anything scientific, but short on/off like at a light or waiting for food at a drive through is not long enough).

We've unpaired BT, rebooted the phones, re-paired BT, changed cables, 2 different iPhone 12 Pro Max phones.

I was going to reach out to Apple, but I'm not sure how much help they would be.

wrg404

Reaction score
Did you also reboot the audio system in the car? That helped me, but I have different phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure that you are not getting the message on your Lock Screen about an incompatible device.

Mine works 100% if I quickly unlock my phone before plugging it into the cable.

Without unlocking it, it is still a very high hit rate. Only once since I bought the phone. My iPhone X was horrible at connecting to my CarPlay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

nobrainer

Reaction score
@Lou Hamilton I haven't received that error about the Lock Screen and I've tried having my phone unlocked before plugging it in as well as after. Weird.

@wrg404 - how does one reboot the audio system (I guess I could google it, but if you got a link or quick how to that would be awesome).

Thanks!

wrg404

Reaction score
SYNC 3 System Reset
The system has a System Reset feature that can be performed if the function of a SYNC 3 feature is lost. This reset is intended to restore functionality and will not erase any information previously stored in the system (such as paired devices, phonebook, call history, text messages, or user settings). To perform a System Reset, press and hold the Seek Up (>>|) button while pressing and holding the Radio Power button. After approximately 5 seconds the screen will go black. Allow 1-2 minutes for the system reset to complete. You may then resume using the SYNC 3 system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Lou Hamilton I haven't received that error about the Lock Screen and I've tried having my phone unlocked before plugging it in as well as after. Weird.

@wrg404 - how does one reboot the audio system (I guess I could google it, but if you got a link or quick how to that would be awesome).

Thanks!

Also, make sure on the iPhone that you toggle the switch to Allow CarPlay While Locked.

Settings > General > CarPlay > SYNC 3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The less verbose version:

Press and hold the Radio Power Button and Next Track Button at the same time. 5 seconds is not always long enough. Press until the screen turns black, then release.

As for the original problem...what is your Sync Version Number? 3.X.XXXXX Please post that.

Also, I know you said you unpaired BT, but did you go in to the CarPlay setting on Sync and remove all there? Also go in to settings on the iPhone and remove all CarPlay known devices. Then pair again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My phone connected this week, but on calls it wouldn’t have any audio. Showed normal operation on the screen, unpaired it, still no better. Will try the reset.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 12 Pro, not the Max, but connects without issue every time I’ve plugged in that I can think of. Always connects to BT no problem as well when I’m not using CarPlay.

I find I don’t use CarPlay that much in my Expedition. I use it every week in my rental cars. This last week I was introduced to the magic that is wireless CarPlay in my rental BMW 740i. Now I wish I had it (wireless CarPlay, not the beemer)!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rental 740i? Holy nice rental. I thought getting something like a yukon, expy, or ram was cool when I traveled for work. Pretty sweet.