Catch Can Contents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the amount you all collect ?
I change my oil and filter every 5K mi and my can collects 1 to 1-1/2 oz it looks like dark coffee and smells like gas.

Timpala

Reaction score
Thanks for the useful information and reassurance that my 2017 Latte's are relatively normal.

These pics are of the passenger side (only) can after less than 1K miles. Some relatively cold temperatures but nothing that cold here in KY (yet). Same gas, oil smell, very liquid on top, creamy thick mess at the bottom of the can. IMG_1755.jpegIMG_1756.jpeg

Merry Christmas everyone!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm the same as @1970Maverick, i've never had more than 1-1.5 oz and it's always a pretty thick black coffee look. honestly it smells but nothing I wouldn't expect. that milky texture makes me wonder if you're getting an unusual amount of moisture in your system or could small amounts of coolant cause that milk-ing? Dunno, but i don't like it.

SteveMax15

Reaction score
Hello, I have a similar experience. I installed two cans. One per side with my last oil change about 1,500 miles ago. I'm getting ready for a long trip so I checked the oil. It looked great. Dark caramel. Still transparent. Darker than new but still only dark brown and not black. Then I pulled the catch cans. Each one had about 4 oz of oil floating over a few oz of latte just like you show here. The oil in the can was black and nasty. The very bottom of the can had a light brown gel like crud in the bottom. Like a tablespoon of flour had settled to the bottom.