Oil Catch Can in Cold Climates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wpaul

Reaction score
Getting ready to install an oil catch can on a 2021 Expedition but the directions are telling me in freezing temps to leave the PCV system intact. Has anyone had any issues in below freezing temperatures such as freeze up of the crank vent system? Just wondering if I should wait until the spring to install this and keep the factory lines for the winter time.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cold weather will create a ton of condensation. The can will fill up with a water/oil mix that will be predominantly water (looks like chocolate milk), and will require frequent dumping. Most people won’t religiously monitor the can and this may lead to the mixture being ingested through the intake, when the can becomes overfilled. This is the scenario the directions are trying to have people avoid, with their warning about cold weather.

OP
OP
W

wpaul

Reaction score
Thanks for the info apex96. Is checking the can weekly enough or does it have to be checked more than that? Also, isn’t this buildup of condensation and oil mix a potential freeze point in the cold weather months?

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info apex96. Is checking the can weekly enough or does it have to be checked more than that? Also, isn’t this buildup of condensation and oil mix a potential freeze point in the cold weather months?
Checking weekly should be fine. When I had one on my previous vehicle I’d check it every time I stopped to fill up. The warm crank case vapors will quickly melt anything that may freeze in the can, I wouldn’t worry too much about use in cold climates.

I don’t have one installed on my current expedition due to the use of the port and direct injection system. Some fuel washing of the valves under low loads is occurring with the port injection system. You’ll find a wide range of opinions on the cans here on the forums. I’m of the opinion they don’t hurt to have if you want to install one.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Getting ready to install an oil catch can on a 2021 Expedition but the directions are telling me in freezing temps to leave the PCV system intact. Has anyone had any issues in below freezing temperatures such as freeze up of the crank vent system? Just wondering if I should wait until the spring to install this and keep the factory lines for the winter time.
What brand?

OP
OP
W

wpaul

Reaction score
I was going to go with J&L but ended up going with the Evil Energy off of Amazon because I liked that it had a dip stick.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That kit looks terrible. It says braided lines, and non of the lines pictured are braided. Those fittings also look terrible on the Amazon listings. Looks like they did a cheap copy of the J&L kit. The J&L kit would have been SO much better. Sorry, just being honest.

Take some pictures when you get it installed, and lets see it.

Jozef Zoldos

Reaction score
That kit looks terrible. It says braided lines, and non of the lines pictured are braided. Those fittings also look terrible on the Amazon listings. Looks like they did a cheap copy of the J&L kit. The J&L kit would have been SO much better. Sorry, just being honest.

Take some pictures when you get it installed, and lets see it.
Thanks for your input. Any experience with Team RXP twin can systems or have you heaard anything either way about this product? I put this sytem on my 2020 expedition. I think it works OK but if you installed it according to the instructions, it was very difficult to drain the cans because of space constraints. I added some additonal hoses and ball valves that are located in the front wheel well to make it much easier to drain the cans.
Also, how often do you normally have to drain these catch cans?

Last edited: