Oil Catch Can in Cold Climates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. Any experience with Team RXP twin can systems or have you heaard anything either way about this product? I put this sytem on my 2020 expedition. I think it works OK but if you installed it according to the instructions, it was very difficult to drain the cans because of space constraints. I added some additonal hoses and ball valves that are located in the front wheel well to make it much easier to drain the cans.
Also, how often do you normally have to drain these catch cans?

Where did you add the additional lines, just to the drains on the cans?

RXP's kit is a good kit. It is in my opinion overkill. The J&L OSC(JLT) kit is a 1/4 of the price and catches 95%+ of what the dual can setups catch.

RXP's mounting location for the cans, as you discovered is not the best. It can get in the way of some aftermarket intakes, and also a pain to drain, but is tucked and out of the way.

No, I do not work for JLT, or have any direct affiliation with them, just have used many of their kits, and they are great bang for the buck, and do the job.

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score

RXP's kit is a good kit. It is in my opinion overkill. The J&L OSC(JLT) kit is a 1/4 of the price and catches 95%+ of what the dual can setups catch.

RXP's mounting location for the cans, as you discovered is not the best. It can get in the way of some aftermarket intakes, and also a pain to drain, but is tucked and out of the way.

No, I do not work for JLT, or have any direct affiliation with them, just have used many of their kits, and they are great bang for the buck, and do the job.
Question for you since you have a lot of experience with these. Realistically how often do you need to clean the screen on this catch can? I feel like the J&L recommendation was like every six months but it required it to be removed to do it. That’s a pain IMO. Appreciate the insight.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Question for you since you have a lot of experience with these. Realistically how often do you need to clean the screen on this catch can? I feel like the J&L recommendation was like every six months but it required it to be removed to do it. That’s a pain IMO. Appreciate the insight.
I typically do them once a year, but it is more dependent on miles and season than time window. Removing it takes 5 minutes on a bad day if you are slightly handy. Not hard at all.

WhiteRhino

Reaction score
Hm. I’m new to catch cans. Installed one in my 22 expedition this past spring. Great info, as I was not away about checking on it more frequently in colder weather. Went and looked at it today and saw some of that coffee ish color for the first time. Also, what’s this cleaning of the screen you speak of? I must have missed that tidbit during my readings. Any insight or literature on how to do that?

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im getting the same small amount in cold weather as i do in summer weather

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hm. I’m new to catch cans. Installed one in my 22 expedition this past spring. Great info, as I was not away about checking on it more frequently in colder weather. Went and looked at it today and saw some of that coffee ish color for the first time. Also, what’s this cleaning of the screen you speak of? I must have missed that tidbit during my readings. Any insight or literature on how to do that?
It’s up in the top when you unscrew your can. It’s a gold screen that the stuff is filtered through. When I got my can there was a QR code to a video that I can’t find right now. But here’s the bottom page of the instructions talking about it. I think the video said use carb cleaner or degreaser.

Attachments

• IMG_8271.png
    IMG_8271.png
    439.2 KB · Views: 16

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theres a video on the j and l site. Basically take it off and spray brake cleaner in it, let dry a few minutes and reinstall. I havent done mine yet, but should soon. I empty maybe a third way full can every three thousand or so miles.

Last edited:

Jozef Zoldos

Reaction score

LokiWolf. Thanks so much for your response. Most of us DIY hacks really appreciate your wisdom on this platform.

Regarding my drain lines for my RXP dual cannister setup, I dropped one line from each of the two cannisters and brought them into the driver side front wheel well and put on two ball valves. I think they were 3/8". I had to adjust one of the ball valves a little higher after initial install due to a slight wheel rub. Makes it real easy to drain the stuff in the cans. I just do it with each oil change. Without this setup, it is a royal PITA to drain the cannisters the way they are set up to be mounted by the manufactuerer.

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65