CCD Replacement Costs? (Continuously Controlled Damping)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken Crossman

Reaction score
The Continuously Controlled Damping system was available for some trim lines in the 2015-17 build. I'm wondering if anyone has had to repair/replace this system yet? If so, could you share what was needed and rough costs? Looking to purchase an expedition in this year range and wondering if I ought to steer clear of this option.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Continuously Controlled Damping system was available for some trim lines in the 2015-17 build. I'm wondering if anyone has had to repair/replace this system yet? If so, could you share what was needed and rough costs? Looking to purchase an expedition in this year range and wondering if I ought to steer clear of this option.
I was thinking the same thing because a smoother ride sounded good but I saw a shock on ebay for $800 and that's just one part of it, so now I am thinking about looking for my next vehicle without it.

Mtrester92

Reaction score
I have a 2015 EL with CCD and it has 127k on it. All the shocks are fine and the ride is still great. I'm pretty sure that they're the only difference from CCD to non-CCD. The CCD only came with 22'" wheels which look nice but do ride significantly different than say a 20".

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 EL with CCD and it has 127k on it. All the shocks are fine and the ride is still great. I'm pretty sure that they're the only difference from CCD to non-CCD. The CCD only came with 22'" wheels which look nice but do ride significantly different than say a 20".
How much to replace all 4 shocks ?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Havent seen a thread of anyone replacing the ccd with ccd for any reason, most people replace with std parts. The springs will most likely cost the same, but the cost will go to the shocks, computer wiring, and sensors.

If given the option, ccd maybe better for long term reliability. Ford shocks are notorious for leaking esp my15 to current year base shocks. It seems the ccd shocks are better long term as they dnt leak as much as the base shocks. Because the ccd uses coils, that aspect wont need to be replaced any differently than base springs.

Mtrester92

Reaction score
How much to replace all 4 shocks ?
No idea. All the shocks are original. The only suspension parts I have replaced so far are the sway bar end links and the upper control arms because I lifted it

OP
OP
K

Ken Crossman

Reaction score
No idea. All the shocks are original. The only suspension parts I have replaced so far are the sway bar end links and the upper control arms because I lifted it
Did you replace the wheels with the lift? Or stick with the original 22" rims? Wondering if it affects the CCD system if you put on 18" or 20" wheels.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Havent seen a thread of anyone replacing the ccd with ccd for any reason, most people replace with std parts. The springs will most likely cost the same, but the cost will go to the shocks, computer wiring, and sensors.

If given the option, ccd maybe better for long term reliability. Ford shocks are notorious for leaking esp my15 to current year base shocks. It seems the ccd shocks are better long term as they dnt leak as much as the base shocks. Because the ccd uses coils, that aspect wont need to be replaced any differently than base springs.
So you can just abandon the CCD feature and put regular shocks in it?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, a few members have replaced their ccd shocks with 1st/3rd party "regular" shocks. They just needed a module to bypass the computer error from my understanding, everything fits regular.