CCD Replacement Costs? (Continuously Controlled Damping)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

Ken Crossman

Reaction score
I just spoke with the estimators at two Ford dealerships. Price tag to replace all four would be $3850 to $4100. On the upside, neither of them had ever performed this service so apparently the shocks are durable.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just spoke with the estimators at two Ford dealerships. Price tag to replace all four would be $3850 to $4100. On the upside, neither of them had ever performed this service so apparently the shocks are durable.
Or nobody bothers to fix them.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That dealer that quoted you $3800+ is a shyster or they pulled a number out of you know where. Rock Auto price is about $1,768 for all 4. I seriously doubt it's $2K in labor. I have 62K on mine with about 7500 miles towing 7,000 lbs and no issues. I worry more about things like the head unit and other electronics.

Linksvu

Reaction score
That dealer that quoted you $3800+ is a shyster or they pulled a number out of you know where. Rock Auto price is about $1,768 for all 4. I seriously doubt it's $2K in labor. I have 62K on mine with about 7500 miles towing 7,000 lbs and no issues. I worry more about things like the head unit and other electronics.

I agree with this. Having a '17 with CCD, I'm pretty sure the entire system is just electric controlled shocks; sensors w/links to the shocks, then a controller tied into systems. If I get to the point of needing replacements, I would think I can find the shocks and swap them like any other shock.

I also switched from the stock 22" down to 18". I am happy with our ride. Lots of highway driving and some towing.

stil

Reaction score
Hi all...

I just put 18” on my 2016 EL with CCD.

I have to say the ride is 100% miserable. It feels very squishy and like a boat rocking aimlessly in the sea...to the point it feels like safety issue not to mention I made myself carsick.

I’ve tried normal, comfort and sport modes on ccd.

I am not sure if this is a tire issue or what but so far it’s not good.

Tires are inflated to 38, which is what is on the sticker inside the driver door.

Any thoughts/ suggestions?? The tires are brand new all terrains from a well know manufacturer. Not a generic brand.

What is irritating to me is the retailer I purchased from has no info on the impact of CCD and different sized wheels.

thoughts/ suggestions?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all...

I just put 18” on my 2016 EL with CCD.

I have to say the ride is 100% miserable. It feels very squishy and like a boat rocking aimlessly in the sea...to the point it feels like safety issue not to mention I made myself carsick.

I’ve tried normal, comfort and sport modes on ccd.

I am not sure if this is a tire issue or what but so far it’s not good.

Tires are inflated to 38, which is what is on the sticker inside the driver door.

Any thoughts/ suggestions?? The tires are brand new all terrains from a well know manufacturer. Not a generic brand.

What is irritating to me is the retailer I purchased from has no info on the impact of CCD and different sized wheels.

thoughts/ suggestions?

The ccd was programmed with the 22in wheel diameter in mind. My guess is the computer is "confused" due to tire diameter and such. I don't know if you could program it by using FORSCAN. The std set up is already soft as is, the 18s is probably over kill.

stil

Reaction score
Does it really know the wheel is 22”...or in my case is not?

What if I swapped to an E rated tire?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An E rated tire would just be a band-aid and more money spent. That system is for 22" tires and computer controlled. Any changes would probably mess it up. That 4k mentioned earlier probably includes a computer. Most people just take them out when the time comes and put regular shocks in. Nice system it it works well and you can afford it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360