CCD Replacement Costs? (Continuously Controlled Damping)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An E rated tire would just be a band-aid and more money spent. That system is for 22" tires and computer controlled. Any changes would probably mess it up. That 4k mentioned earlier probably includes a computer. Most people just take them out when the time comes and put regular shocks in. Nice system it it works well and you can afford it. The computer for it changes the shock stiffness hundreds of times per second as you ride over pot holes etc. Very sophisticated.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi all...

I just put 18” on my 2016 EL with CCD.

I have to say the ride is 100% miserable. It feels very squishy and like a boat rocking aimlessly in the sea...to the point it feels like safety issue not to mention I made myself carsick.

I’ve tried normal, comfort and sport modes on ccd.

I am not sure if this is a tire issue or what but so far it’s not good.

Tires are inflated to 38, which is what is on the sticker inside the driver door.

Any thoughts/ suggestions?? The tires are brand new all terrains from a well know manufacturer. Not a generic brand.

What is irritating to me is the retailer I purchased from has no info on the impact of CCD and different sized wheels.

thoughts/ suggestions?

Tell us the brand, size, and model of tire. You gave us very little actual data. We need details.

That being said, the 38PSI on the door is based off the OEM tire. If you have CCD, that was a 22. You put an 18 on, adding 2 more inches of side wall of squishy rubber assuming the same total rolling diameter vs the OEM setup. You most likely need to add air.

You traded wheel for tire...therefore softer ride(everything else being equal).

Give us more details on the tire...and we will start from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

stil

Reaction score
Got it. Interesting because I called 3 different Ford dealers and spoke with a service Advisor to find out if it would be problematic and they said it would not. Then again, not sure how they would know one way or another tbh.

If I swap out to regular shocks/ struts...will my Expedition throw a code? Can the system be shut off by a ford dealer after I swap out shocks/ struts?

stil

Reaction score
Tell us the brand, size, and model of tire. You gave us very little actual data. We need details.

That being said, the 38PSI on the door is based off the OEM tire. If you have CCD, that was a 22. You put an 18 on, adding 2 more inches of side wall of squishy rubber assuming the same total rolling diameter vs the OEM setup. You most likely need to add air.

You traded wheel for tire...therefore softer ride(everything else being equal).

Give us more details on the tire...and we will start from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

275 65 18

Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus

I bumped the pressure up to 40 PSI today. Marginal improvement.

I fully recognize that adding more sidewall will make the ride different but I've driven an Expedition EL with 18" wheels without CCD and the ride is vastly different...granted, different tires.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
275 65 18

Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus

I bumped the pressure up to 40 PSI today. Marginal improvement.

I fully recognize that adding more sidewall will make the ride different but I've driven an Expedition EL with 18" wheels without CCD and the ride is vastly different...granted, different tires.

You replaced XL(Extra Load) tire with a SL(Standard Load) tire. Your OEM 22 Tire had a max pressure of 50PSI, and the SL Tire Max PSI is 44. You added a taller sidewall, with a skinnier tire, and a smaller contact patch.

Others have made the switch to 20 & 18 Inch tires with CCD, but my guess is their tire choice was better.

I think your issues are completely tire related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stil

Reaction score
You replaced XL(Extra Load) tire with a SL(Standard Load) tire. Your OEM 22 Tire had a max pressure of 50PSI, and the SL Tire Max PSI is 44. You added a taller sidewall, with a skinnier tire, and a smaller contact patch.

Others have made the switch to 20 & 18 Inch tires with CCD, but my guess is their tire choice was better.

I think your issues are completely tire related.

Isn't "extra load" sort of misleading? The max load rating on the Pirelli's is higher than the outgoing tire...

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't "extra load" sort of misleading? The max load rating on the Pirelli's is higher than the outgoing tire...

Somewhat, but the side wall is stiffer.

Bottom line, the tire is your issue, not the CCD. That is my opinion, based off experience and knowing many have made the change with CCD to 20’s and 18’s and not had the issues/complaints you have had. I would expect the ride to get better/softer but not as bad as you described.

stil

Reaction score
Somewhat, but the side wall is stiffer.

Bottom line, the tire is your issue, not the CCD. That is my opinion, based off experience and knowing many have made the change with CCD to 20’s and 18’s and not had the issues/complaints you have had. I would expect the ride to get better/softer but not as bad as you described.

Ok...makes sense. Thanks for your input.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeroday