CCD vs. no CCD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbenz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I guess I'll have to either wait or hope one with CCD shows up.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dealer gave me a 2021 Expedition loaner until my 2022 arrives.
The loaner has the CCD (Continuous Controlled Damping) option fitted. I like the idea of the CCD, but debating if I should modify my build to add it. I have not driven a Expedition without CCD.

Has anyone here been able to do a back to back drive comparison?

The question about ride quality depends on where you are coming from. If your previous car was an F-350, then you will like the non-ccd suspension. Some 18-21 ccd owners complain about the bouncy feel.

If you are used to normal minivan/crossover driving comfort, then ccd will be more comfortable.

For me, the XLT suspension feels overly stiff unless the car is fully loaded, then it gets squishy and comfortable (normal truck behavior).

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My experience in test driving multiple levels of Expedition (XLT non CCD, Limited non CCD) now in the Plat with CCD, the CCD makes a big difference on the lower impacts / lower load conditions. I felt the non CCD expeditions had more of a F150 feel to it - solid on impacts, but definitely meant to be loaded to be smoothed out.

From what I understand, CCD is magnetic ride tech - it feels very adaptable to different drive surface conditions, and the different drive select modes can be clearly felt thru the suspension.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '19 Platinum has CCD. It was unbearably bouncy (except in Sport) until I installed front and rear sway bars. Now it's passable but disappointing knowing Ford wasted a great opportunity to knock it out of the park.

The problem with Ford's CCD implementation is lack of user defined settings. The factory dampening choices along with motor and transmission shift combinations is not to my liking.

If I had a choice (not an option on Platinum models) I would have skipped CCD and gone with aftermarket shocks, springs, and sway bars.

That's my 2 cents but I'm probably in the minority since Ford decided to keep it simple for the majority of customers.

Wnomis

Reaction score
I had a 18’ limited on the standard 20’s it comes with and no CCD. It was definitely a bit more ruff of a ride then the 21’ platinum I have now with 22s and the CCD. It really depends what you want out of the vehicle. The “floaty” ride is nice on poor roads and for going over speed tables and such. I typically don’t put it in sport mode but when I do I can absolutely feel the difference and the ride is much firmer and for being the huge beast that it is. It handles the curves well in sport mode for what it is. Would I personally modify your order no. I also would not ditch my 21. The 22s just have not grown on me enough and I am tired of tinting windows

OP
OP
J

JimmyMcBob

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great insight. Regarding my point of reference -
1) I used to have a 2017 F150 KR with the Off-Road package which resolved the overly soft ride of the F150. True, it was firm but I preferred that vs. the very soft ride I experienced in a 2017 F150 Platinum test drive
2) Up to getting my 2021 Expy loaner (with CCD) I had a 2018 BMW 3 Series - firm ride, but not as much as my previous F150. Driving dynamics totally different as you would expect.
3) Driving the 2021 loaner which has the CCD around Michigan - the low speed and highway speed ride is firm, similar to 3 Series. Up to now I have not noticed a difference in firmness between the driving modes.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This thing, with CCD (and replacement sway bars), is a traveling marvel. Eats up the miles no problem. You'll be amazed how good you feel after a full day of travel.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This thing, with CCD (and replacement sway bars), is a traveling marvel. Eats up the miles no problem. You'll be amazed how good you feel after a full day of travel.
It really is. After the Hellwig sway bars, Its just a complete dream to drive on cross country trips. The factory sway bars almost makes you sea sick like you are swaying on the Titanic.

WALoeIII

Reaction score
I have CCD, Helwig Sways, and stepped down from 22" wheels to 20" wheels and really enjoy it for highway miles. Its too soft, especially in the rear, around town, but sport mode mostly mitigates this. I agree with earlier comments, I'd really like to separate suspension and throttle response/shift mapping buttons so I can run it in SPORT suspension but normal throttle mapping when I'm solo driving around town.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni