CCD vs. no CCD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyMcBob

Reaction score
My dealer gave me a 2021 Expedition loaner until my 2022 arrives.
The loaner has the CCD (Continuous Controlled Damping) option fitted. I like the idea of the CCD, but debating if I should modify my build to add it. I have not driven a Expedition without CCD.

Has anyone here been able to do a back to back drive comparison?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haven't driven any 22s, but from my feel, without ccd, a bit firm but controlled all the time. With ccd, overly soft, but better isolated. If yours has 22in wheels, def get the ccd for the protection it gives.

OP
OP
J

JimmyMcBob

Reaction score
Haven't driven any 22s, but from my feel, without ccd, a bit firm but controlled all the time. With ccd, overly soft, but better isolated. If yours has 22in wheels, def get the ccd for the protection it gives.
Thank you for the feedback.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a couple of people with my22s that have xlts,ltd, and krs, maybe they can chime in and let you know what they think of the ride so far.

One guy has an xlt, he said the ride was trucky and worse than an explorer whoch is bad news in my eyes. Another has a timberline, and said the ride was marginally worse than the air suspended wagoneer, which is great news(i driven one, the truck rides exceptional, see my review in general discussion). A few has a kr/ltd stealth and said the ride on the ccd was really good with the stealth sport being very well balanced.

bbenz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 22 on order with CCD but I've seen a couple starting to show up around me in dealer lots that don't have it and I'm wondering how much I'll miss it. Anyone know if it is something that could be added later?

caplanm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is only available w/22" Tires. Definitely worth it. I have it on a 2018 Platinum. Not only does it compensate for the smaller sidewalls on the 22" , but softens certain things on the road, such as small pot holes, and expansion joints on the interstates

bbenz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is only available w/22" Tires. Definitely worth it. I have it on a 2018 Platinum. Not only does it compensate for the smaller sidewalls on the 22" , but softens certain things on the road, such as small pot holes, and expansion joints on the interstates
That's basically the conclusion that I had come to when I ordered. Unless it is one of the items that are in short supply then I'm surprised that all of the vehicles I've seen showing up on lots around me don't have it.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do like the CCD when have full passengers and some cargo. I can switch it to SPORT and the suspension stiffens up and doesn't bounce as much. Alternatively, when cruising the highway I can set it to the leaf and it's cushy.