Center Cap to Use F150 Wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd like to know the answer before trimming the hub. Thanks

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expeditions have independent rear suspensions and F-150s have solid rear axles with relatively flat ends on the axle shafts. The Expedition rear hub assemblies have the long spindle shaft probably due to some machining requirement for that extra length. If not, some bean counter would calculate the fraction of a cent savings that could be achieved by eliminating that extra half inch or so of shaft plus machining the extra five or six threads. In practice, the threaded shaft beyond the spindle nut is surplus so you can cut off enough of it to allow for the F-150 center caps to fit without compromising shaft integrity. Usually less than an inch to remove, then clean up the cut end to with a file to allow easy removal and reinstallation of the spindle nut should it require service sometime in the future.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have a cutting wheel that should make quick work of it if I can't find my 1/4" aluminum spacers.

It's frustrating because the new 18" wheels look nicer to me than the 22's and they ride a lot better over rough roads.

I'll do what I need to do to get the rear caps attached.

1000001718.jpg

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Found the 1/4" Rough Country spacers for the rear.

Just enough room to get on the caps with plenty of thread left.

Not a fan of spacers so I still may cut the axles if I keep the wheels for the long term.

20221226_160429.jpg