Check backup aid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03EXPO4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought my 03 eddie bauer the check backup aid was on when you put it in reverse. I asked the guy selling it what was wrong with it and he told me nothing they are just sensitive and probably dirty to just clean them... Knowing that he could be BSing me I figured it wouldn't be a real expensive fix if something else was wrong.. My question is- Where do I start? Is there some common things that could be the problem? I have the rear bumper with 2 sensors on it.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
can you post a picture of the rear bumper
all available information I have available says you should have either 3 or 4 sensors on the bumper depending on if its a early or late production expedition

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Parking Aid — Reverse Sensing System
Navigator, early build Expedition
The parking aid system consists of the following:

one radar sensor (located in the center of the rear bumper)
two ultrasonic parking aid sensors (located on the left and right side of the rear bumper)
parking aid module (PAM) (located behind the LH C-pillar trim panel)
parking aid speaker—audible warning tone (located in the parking aid module)
reverse gear select input (to the parking aid module from reverse lamp circuit)

Late build Expedition
The parking aid system consists of the following:

four ultrasonic parking aid sensors (located in the rear bumper)
parking aid module (PAM) (located behind the LH C-pillar trim panel)
parking aid speaker—audible warning tone (located in the parking aid module

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are 2 ultra sonic and one radarsensor look behind the rear bumper for the wiring harness the radar sensor should be in the middle

Jeckler

Reaction score
My '03 had one outer sensor missing when I bought it. I replaced it, but now the system goes nuts when put in to reverse. One of the sensors is held in with bailing wire (seriously) because no one sells the parts for it anymore. The fact that the bumper itself is a little "wrinkly" isn't helping either. These system are pretty sensitive. If either sensor is tilted up, down or left, right, it throws it off. I'm probably going to eventually unplug it so it at least doesn't scream at me anymore.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
have the codes read

Parking Aid Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index — Navigator, Early Build Expedition DTC Description Source Action
B1299 Power supply sensor circuit short to ground Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test B .
B1342 ECU is defective Parking Aid Module CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the Parking Aid Module self-test. If DTC B1342 is retrieved again, INSTALL a new Parking Aid Module; REFER to Parking Aid Module . CLEAR all DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
B2844 Ignition Voltage Out of Range Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test A .
C1700 Left rear sensor circuit failure Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test B .
C1703 Right rear sensor circuit failure Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test B .
C1983 Radar sensor fault Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test B .
C1984 Radar sensor circuit failure Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test B .
U2306 Transmission PRNDL Range Selected Status Invalid Parking Aid Module Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.