"CO" & Empty Fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14Expedition

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'll try & keep this one short & to the point, the 2000 Eddie Bauer being the vehicle in question today. So about 2 weeks ago I went on a small offroad loop (12.5 miles) local to home, upon starting I was reading 3/4 of a tank. As I was just coming back up on pavement I noticed my over head console displaying "CO" & Compass only, also my fuel was reading far below the empty line on the dash in the normal position when the vehicle is off.
Confused yet sure I had fuel in the tank I made the 5 mile drive back home & shut the truck off & started it back up to find my fuel readings back to normal. This has occurred 3 more times over the last 2 weeks, all times over atleast 1/4 tank & under normal driving conditions in the city.
The only time my fuel readings would normally not be correct is if I was parked at angle (Upward frontend = higher reading, ect.. the normal stuff) for a long period of time with the truck off. Fuel pump was replaced about 4 years ago. I searched around & couldn't find anything so any help would be appreciated. If nothing else I may replace the fuel pump in the near future.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210909_184317.jpg
    20210909_184317.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad connection, your sending unit going bad, or the float is hanging up somehow in the down position. You maybe able to jumper the connector at the top of the tank to check wiring if it continued to read empty. Being that it works sometimes, makes troubleshooting troublesome. Otherwise it requires a tank drop to correct and replace the unit and maybe a tank cleaning and new pump also since you got it down. They sell the float sending unit and pump all as one unit also as you probably already know. Either that or pay attention to your mileage so you know when to fill up. In simpler times I had an old pickup with the tank behind the seat. My fuel gauge was an old broomstick. To many elbows in accessing the expedition fuel tanks. Maybe like Ford another member has a better idea.
61pyeupVTBL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the connector (shown) for corrosion. Clean with contact cleaner spray, squirt dielectric grease in connections (male and female).

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How is your battery? The instrument cluster is voltage sensitive upon starting. I had a sluggish cluster, upon starting, for 6 months until I realized the battery was at end of life.