Code Readers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kansas Gary

Reaction score
I am looking for a nice Code Reader to buy. Anybody have one that they like? I am looking for one that will not break the bank. What kind should I be looking for? And a web site or a link to one would be great.

B

bedrck46

Check on e bay for actronCP9580A will read codes abs codes and has a feature called code direct which gives you possible fixes for the codes also you may want to check into elm327 bluetooth that will pair with smart phone or pc or tablets

wadesdad

Reaction score
Try Harbor Freight. I've had one of their CenTechs. They often have sales, plus you can use one of their 20% off coupons that are always available.

OP
OP
K

Kansas Gary

Reaction score
bedrck46: I went to e-bay and there is about 1000 different ones on there. Never did see the one you recommended. I even went to Amazon and they had just as many to choose from. Makes a guy head spin with all the options out there.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy the scanner / code reader that will do what you want it to. Do you want to read basic general codes, abs, trans etc. You can get el cheapo to big buck ones. The SnapOn we have at work is really nice but would be overkill for the general weekend mechanic.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too have a Actron CP9580A for my 2011 EL. It does what I need it to. Got it from Advance auto parts when they had a sale. I wasn't looking to make changes to the programming but there are other code scanners that also program for not much more.

B

bedrck46

bedrck46: I went to e-bay and there is about 1000 different ones on there. Never did see the one you recommended. I even went to Amazon and they had just as many to choose from. Makes a guy head spin with all the options out there.

Go back to e-bay and enter the following into search and I believe you will find what you couldn't find before

Actron CP9580A Enhanced AutoScanner Plus with CodeConnect

Yes they do have them at Advanced Auto

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got the Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight with the ABS part to delivered for $92.16 so I can verify my Exp and well my fathers 99 F150 has a Check Engine and an ABS code up and it seems to be stopping his cruise from working.

SFTX

Reaction score
If you have an iPhone or Android phone, I recommend one of the compatible devices ($20-100) + the DashCommand app for $10. It's well worth it - the dashboard provides a huge amount of realtime data about your vehicle, plus you can read and clear codes.

Last edited:

jdecker

Reaction score
I would just pick up one of the cheap "elm 327" units from e-bay or amazon and then down load the free software from here What's new then you can scan every module on your truck much like the dealer can