Cold Start Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maximo B Guadiano

Reaction score
Thanks for you info, now it sounds like it needs oil on start up. Lifters sounding loud at first, and then the passenger side of the engine sounds like lifters are not getting ample oil. Ticking sound only from the passenger side and not the driver side. Your thoughts

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: Got mine back and they said my wategates are rattling but it's still in spec. It's basicaly going to have to throw a code before they will fix under warranty. The shop foreman said anything you hear in the first minute after startup Ford is now considering normal. He even said they are starting to refuse cam phaser noises (if you push them hard they will still do them as a courtesy during factory warranty) because it doesn't affect performance or long term durability. He said bring it back if the rattle gets worse outside of the first minute after a cold start.

Last edited:

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
AAOO unplug it and make it throw a code.

These trucks are 70k, my truck was 100k

Ridiculous of the treatment. Its ford fault selling a pile of shit.

acf83

Reaction score
AAOO unplug it and make it throw a code.

These trucks are 70k, my truck was 100k

Ridiculous of the treatment. Its ford fault selling a pile of shit.

dealer and Ford are stating that the rattle on start up are a normal noise now. after they replaced the Vet solenoids to "fix" the start up rattle. have what I believe is a turbo waste gate rattle on start up and acceleration. Its been there for 6 weeks now and they claim the turbo is fine after I stated I would just buy a new one and repair the vehicle myself. Will unplugging the electrical solenoid on the turbo make the rattle stop upon start up, so I can demo this to the dealer?

Atticus Mabrry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil leak on mine was the head gasket. They bent it repairing the timing chain crap. It's back in the shop for the same thing again. Someone mentioned that there was no longer term durability/reliability issues from this...I call BS. How can Ford possibly know that!? Something is slapping/rattling and therefore its not normal. I'm 100% certain the wastegate on mine is rattling too but they have about 5 issues to fix on this one trip...so...that might be another day. Sunroof is also jamming on hot days...

minichunks

Reaction score
Update: Got mine back and they said my wategates are rattling but it's still in spec. It's basicaly going to have to throw a code before they will fix under warranty. The shop foreman said anything you hear in the first minute after startup Ford is now considering normal. He even said they are starting to refuse cam phaser noises (if you push them hard they will still do them as a courtesy during factory warranty) because it doesn't affect performance or long term durability. He said bring it back if the rattle gets worse outside of the first minute after a cold start.

Mine does the same thing, and I got the same answer from the dealer on fixing the wastegate rattle. I'll go back again before the warranty is up and put up a fight, but didn't have time the day i was there. From my F150, the dealership knows I can be a PITA, so I don't suspect they'll blow me off for long. $70k+ truck and it's supposed to rattle?!?!? I think not.

Dirk McGirt06

Reaction score
Is this cam phaser issue something that is covered under the power train warranty? I just purchased my 2018 Expedition Max Limited with 51K miles. And it has the exact same sound as these others on the thread that have been mentioned as having a cam phaser problem. Thing is, when I got it from the small town Ford dealership, the service manager said that it's not an issue. Well, if you can replace parts and fix the noise, that sounds like an issue to me...

Just want to know if I need to invest in an extended warranty before I start heading down this road.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is this cam phaser issue something that is covered under the power train warranty? I just purchased my 2018 Expedition Max Limited with 51K miles. And it has the exact same sound as these others on the thread that have been mentioned as having a cam phaser problem. Thing is, when I got it from the small town Ford dealership, the service manager said that it's not an issue. Well, if you can replace parts and fix the noise, that sounds like an issue to me...

Just want to know if I need to invest in an extended warranty before I start heading down this road.

Covered under the powertrain warranty (60,000 OD)