Comparing my XLT vs Limited Builds - worth going to Limited?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenPT

Reaction score
Trying to decide between Limited and XLT - hoping for some insight from you all on a few things.

Expedition Max XLT - 4X4 - Antimatter Blue

-202A
-Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Pkg
-Panoramic Roof + Sun & Style Discount + 20" Nickel Plated Wheels
-CoPilot360 Assist
=MSRP $67,855

Expedition Max Limited - 4X4 Antimatter Blue

-301A
-Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Pkg
-LED Lighting
=MSRP $72,575

So... for $4,700 Limited gives me a better sound system, power running boards, leather seating, LED Lighting and 20" wheels. Beyond that is there anything I'm missing? The finishes in the interior look a bit different (woodgrain) and from the exterior the most I can see is a bit more chrome (door handles and roof rails). Seems like quite a bit more money...

-I'm not sure I actually want the power running boards, seems they can just be a headache long term.
-Is the leather seating any nicer than the Active-X? Are the seats more plush/comfortable or is it just a material difference?
-Are the LED headlights significantly better than halogen? I'm skeptical of LED lighting as I see a lot of cars with burned out LED factory DRLs. I've heard sometimes these headlights can cost a few hundred dollars to replace if something burns out.
-Anything else I'm missing that the Limited gives me over an XLT?

Thanks!

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can, def grab the ltd. If you can, grab a 301 with the special edition pkg to grab the ccd, 360 camera and HD tow pkg. The sep is a bargain with all the features it bundles.

Ltd has better furnishing touches like better steering wheel lthr, more soft touch material, and the seats are more comfy due to design. If you like listening to music, The b&o is a huge upgrade over base system. The led headlights are also a must, the halogens are trash. I liked the front sensing system as well.

I didn't have 360 cam or ccd with with one I owned, but looking back, I would def have gotten the 302 over the 301. Ccd is better on hwy main byways, though base is better on mtn and city roads. Also, 360 cam is always nice, and probably would've prevented some unnecessary damage to the car.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You won't regret the LED headlights! The CCD suspension is a nice feature as well. Congrats on the new ride!

romeo625

Reaction score
I really wanted the front sensors and the 360 view camera, which come on the limited. It’s very helpful getting into tight spots.

Proud Okie

Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority but I really love the power running boards and will never own a vehicle w/o the Birdseye camera. Love my 2019 stealth limited.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have a 2018 Limited and on this big a vehicle I use the cameras frequently for parking and in some tight circular fast food drive through lanes

Jerald Cook

Reaction score
I went through the same dilemma and ended up with the XLT with the 202A and FX4 package. Overall I'm extremely happy with my choice.
- The 202A stereo is just barely adequate (6 speakers) for a vehicle this expensive, but my days of loud music are over so its sufficient.
- I actually wanted Active X material over leather. Between messy kids and sharp dog claws, it's holding up very well. Ford says it's more durable and stain resistant than the leather.
- I wanted the halogen headlights. If a bulb goes out, it's $20. If the LED in the Limited goes out, the whole assembly needs replaced for something like $1300. The light throw of the low beams isn't spectacular but it's adequate. I might upgrade to some higher performance Sylvania halogen bulbs for $50.
- I don't like retractable running boards. It seems a day doesn't go by that I don't pass some vehicle with a broken one permanently down.

thewolf56

Reaction score
We had a similar dilemma as well going into last weekend. Had a 2015 EL XLT 4x4 with almost every XLT option available (leather, heated/cooled seats, navigation, but no sunroof). It was tuxedo black and we liked the black trim of the XLT on the roof rails and front bumper over the shiny limited trim. Just recently upgraded the shocks to Bilstein 5100s and leveled it out (already had ATs on it) and that made a huge difference in the ride.

Well, last Monday, we traded that in for a star white Limited MAX 303A (stealth edition) 4x4 with CCD, Heavy Duty tow, EDLS, 2nd row captains chairs. Other than the 22s and the captains chairs, we have been very happy with it. the leather seems better than the leather from the previous gen XLT, and CCD with 22s seems more comfortable than even the bilsteins on 18s. The LED lights are much brighter than the halogens of my last one (where I live, there is a large stretch of road without streetlights to get into our community, so it helps) and the 360 camera system is useful in tight spaces. Turned off lane assist (just alert) as I like to hug the right line on the 2-lane road and didn't feel like fighting it. The power running boards help on entry into the front seats as they reach out further than the fixed boards, so less tendency to slide out of the seats. We also looked at a platinum trim, but my wife liked the stealth package looks better (plus with kids, the black leather should hold up better to stains and such) and it will be her vehicle.

Also, not sure about the XLT, but the 303A has a heated steering wheel. Even though it is over 100 degrees here still, my wife is already using it...