Complete Failure of systems while motor running and driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While not your situation, I can't stand that the power steering on these "locks" the wheel when the engines off. Every car I've ever had before, even ones with lane departure controls, wheel feedback, etc. all still turn, all be it with much more force required. I hate even sitting at a stop, when auto-stop-start is engaged and the steering won't turn at all. So i can only imagine what it must have been like if you lost brakes, steering, everything. I would think there has to be some kind of diagnostics in the vehicle to help trace that event. Otherwise I personally would want a buyback, as I could never trust that car again.
When auto start stop engages the wheel is not locked. You’re feeling the weight needed without electric assist. It’s not easy to turn at a stop, a lot of weight over the front axle.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When auto start stop engages the wheel is not locked. You’re feeling the weight needed without electric assist. It’s not easy to turn at a stop, a lot of weight over the front axle.
I didn't design these so I don't know for sure, but I'm not sure that's accurate. When the vehicle is off, I can easily turn the wheel without any power assist (which tells me the force required to turn the wheel). But while A.S.S. is activated, it's locked, I think on purpose. But it's hard to prove because within a second or two of turning the wheel, it immediately deactivates A.S.S. and even says on the cluster it was deactivated due to turning the wheel. I think the system actually locks the wheel in its current position when A.S.S. kicks in.

bwhite8889

Reaction score
That is strange. The only similar experience I’ve had was on a 2011 Town and Country. The TIPM (computer that controls everything) went haywire and started opening doors/windows on the highway before finally shutting the engine off completely. We were going about 55-60 mph with all of this going down and kids in the car. Coasted to the side of the road and had it towed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire